The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should I stop this?

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Vidaloco 
#1 ·
I'll give you a little back story first. I've had Vida for about 4 years now, she is 9 yo. She is my main riding horse. Not the alpha in the herd. She never liked being touched around her flanks pretty much from there back she would pin her ears if you brushed her too hard or even tried to give a friendly scratch. She lifts her rear feet for cleaning fine and always liked having her tail dock scratched but anything around the rear legs and up under her belly was a no no.
I have slowly gotten her so she will let me clean the gunk out from between her teets but it took awhile and I even got kicked at once. Well....I started using my jelly scrubber to rub her down after a ride. She liked it so much she let me do her back legs, between her back legs, down her back legs and her belly! The problem is I think she is addicted. Every time I go out to feed, water get the mail or just say howdy she comes over turns her butt to me and wants her legs scratched. I mean EVERY TIME. This has been going on for about a month now. She will stick her neck out and her upper lip quivers. She has never shown any "sweet spot" to me before this. It just had to be her rear end :lol:
Should I let her do this? is it ok for her to turn her butt to me for this, or should I start ignoring her?

#4 ·
haha, the mule did that to me too!

he just loved to have his butt scratched, but you couldn't go near his back legs for anything else or you'd be killed from him kicking you...

So as long as she doesn't try to kick you or get dominant with you I'd say go ahead and scratch! Vida will love you all the more

#5 ·
:lol: I think you're onto a good thing! Just found another effective positive reinforcement that you can use to reward her for things.

I had a mare who loved a tail scratch so much she'd come backing up to you in the paddock too. I didn't mind this, but if I wanted to eliminate this behaviour, I'd put it on cue and never ever reinforce it with giving her what she wants, unless I'd asked/cued it, and I would be reinforcing some conflicting behaviour, such as facing me.

#6 ·
I don't see the problem. My horses when they were younger liked me to scratch their butts, so they turn them to me every time. Interesting though with time they prefer face me "face-to-face", but I just scratched.

#7 ·
My mare does this too and in fact the gelding is starting to pick it up. It can be disconcerting when a horse greets you with their back side. I watch their ears and talk to them so that they know I'm in their blind spot - but I allow it. Although I'm cautious I trust those two not be doing that out of disrespect or danger.

#8 ·
My only concern about this is other people. Sure you know she just wants a hiney scratch, which really is funny and cute. :lol: But what about next time you go camping, or on a trail ride with other folks. I would be concerned that they would either A.) be scared and insist that Vida turn for them and get grumpy with her when she was only wanting attention. -or- B.) Think that she is wanting attention when she is in fact threatening them because she didn't like the way they were approaching or something along those lines.

I would hate to have an accident involving Vida while she was tied to a high line at camp after a great day on the trail because of a misunderstanding.....Maybe this is a behavior that does need a cue. In the end its gonna be how you want to handle it. Does she do it to everyone or just you?

#9 ·
you found your gals sweet spot!!! thats so cool. my 23 year old paint gelding has never relieved his to me or i have not found it. since she is not being aggressive i would try to rub her with more grooming products...ie curry comb, dandy brush etc. this way ur not limited to the rubber mit. thats cute though. grooming will be a lot more fun for the both of you!!! enjoy.

#10 ·
I would always scratch Luna's butt from the time she was a few days old not realizing I was teaching her to back up to me every time she wanted a good butt scratching. I neglected to tell my husband this though, and once she backed up to him so he starts panicking thinking she's getting ready to kick and asks me what he should do. I said, "she just wants her butt scratched." :lol:

I think it's pretty harmless, too. Just inform others what to do if she presents her butt, I guess! Plus, you did a great thing by desensitizing what was once "touchy" area.

#11 ·
tbenitez said:
you found your gals sweet spot!!! thats so cool. my 23 year old paint gelding has never relieved his to me or i have not found it. since she is not being aggressive i would try to rub her with more grooming products...ie curry comb, dandy brush etc. this way ur not limited to the rubber mit. thats cute though. grooming will be a lot more fun for the both of you!!! enjoy.
I know, wild isnt it? :lol: I just figured she didn't have one. Every other horse I've had it was pretty obvious when you found it. She just never acted like she really enjoyed any itchy spots.
Its funny she very rarely came to me in the pasture. She wasn't hard to catch, I just had to walk all the way to her. Now she comes to me. Only took 4 years :lol:

#12 ·
Vidaloco said:
She will stick her neck out and her upper lip quivers. She has never shown any "sweet spot" to me before this. It just had to be her rear end :lol:
Wow, that's really funny. My mare does the same thing! :shock: So, I think that she really likes her rear end scratched! Nothing wrong with that! My mare likes her poll scratch, and then she does the lip thing. It's really funny!

#13 ·
Ahaha, I love it.... At one time all my horses were backing up to me every time I got near them. Basically here it was due to the summer bug (tick) bites in the tender regions. It got so rediculous that over winter I weaned em off and then only did it occasionally so they wouldn't get pushy again.. Few too many for that. I always made sure anyone who was around them understood what they were doing and to watch for signs; ie ears, the "look" etc.. The mares LOVE to have their teats cleaned out and rubbed.. I get a nice backrub out of it from Gypsy..

#14 ·
Heh, Hoover is the same way. He loves his flanks and rump scratched. As for her turning around to other people, I would just make sure she understands that isn't the only place to get attention. IE, when I'm rubbing down Hoove, I will scratch his butt for a while, then go up and scratch on his whithers, or his neck, or what have you. If he walks around so I have his butt again, I'll sometimes let him ask, and sometimes walk back up to his front and pay attention there...just so he knows it's still ultimately my choice if I scratch him where he wants. I also always start at his head when I greet him, so he gets the idea that asking for attention involves his front end. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.