The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Where to find quality used tack online? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/where-find-quality-used-tack-online-128261/)

Jore 06-24-2012 08:52 AM

Where to find quality used tack online?

So, I'm still working on my budget for my "presentation" to my dad about potentially buying a horse. I have all the guaranteed expenses like farrier and boarding and vaccinations and such, but I need to make a list of supplies that I'll need. I already have most things from my lease horse, and because the mare I'm looking at is a similar size, I'm hoping that the majority of things will fit her. I'm also hoping that my instructor will let me borrow one of her older saddles until I can find one of my own. So, I'm just wondering on prices for a decent quality saddle, likely used, as I don't really want to spend a fortune on one at this point.

My other things that I'm thinking I'll need are 1) a turn out blanket and 2) a fly sheet. All the other basics I can find at my local feedshop. So if you guys can help me with prices, and sites online, that'd be much appreciated! :)

themacpack 06-24-2012 09:58 AM

You can find it on criagslist and e-bay, you just have to know what you are looking for. Tactrader.com is another good place to look. My ultimate preference, though, for used, is to find a good area tack shop (or two or three) who do consignment because you get used tack w/out having to buy it on faith via online purchases because you can put your hands on the items first.

That being said, I'd look at an even more basic list of "needs" as turnouts, fly sheets, etc are actually more in the "extras" category - especially if you are trying to make the initial pitch as affordable as possible. These are things that you could add to your supplies down the line.

equiniphile 06-24-2012 10:45 AM

Craigslist (searchtempest.com combines all CL listings so you can search with a distance setting instead of by city) is good for tack, as is Horseclicks. I haven't had much luck with Tacktrader because it's not free for picture ads which turns sellers off. Join the Horsegroomingsupplies.com forum; there are a ton of classifieds added every day.

themacpack 06-24-2012 11:02 AM

You might also want to post a "wanted" ad in the tack classified area here once you have the horse and know what size you'll need

Ray MacDonald 06-24-2012 11:46 AM

e-bay is really good, also kijiji.com. Look for something that is $500-$1000 for a good quality saddle, you can find ones for cheaper that are still really good quality but those can be rare finds ;) Look for certain brands and make sure to atleast see a picture of it before buying.

WesternBella 06-24-2012 11:46 AM

I love tack swap groups on Facebook, you should try that.
Posted via Mobile Device

boots 06-24-2012 11:51 AM

I had crazy luck doing a search for "used (brand name and what piece of tack) for sale."

I've gotten some saddles for friends and myself from all over the country. Also have picked up some great handmade rawhide pieces from people who had no need for them. I specify the artists name on some of that custom stuff.

Jore 06-24-2012 12:16 PM

Thanks everyone! I've bookmarked a few pages, and hopefully my instructor will also help me in my search. (if my dad says yes)

These sites really like tempting me though.. I've found a billion things in turquoise zebra print.. and on a black horse, it'd look pretty flashy. :)

kitten_Val 06-24-2012 02:21 PM

Jore, I don't use fly sheet personally - it's too hot here without the one. As for blanket I use same cheap Saxon (which was $40 or so) for 5 years already on both mares, and they both going strong.

Jore 06-24-2012 02:30 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking I might just buy a lightweight turnout sheet and a fly mask. The horse I'm primarily interested in is black (with a white star) so I don't want her to fade in the summer. I just really hope my dad says yes!