The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   What Bad Riding Habits REALLY Bug You to See? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/what-bad-riding-habits-really-bug-128331/)

MLShunterjumper 06-24-2012 09:37 PM

What Bad Riding Habits REALLY Bug You to See?

I am not trying to be offensive, I know that bad habits can be very hard to get rid of, but I just wanted to know what bad habit just really sets you off. For me, it's "puppy paws"/"piano hands." It seems that so many younger riders at shows have that habit, and it just bugs me for some reason. It also bothers me when riders have their hands by their faces and pull at their horses around the whole course and over the jumps. Later you see the rider surprised when the horse refuses to jump or jumps awkwardly and sends the rider onto the horse's neck.

Short rant over. :-)

waresbear 06-24-2012 09:40 PM

Heavy hands holding a horse with it's neck inverted. Looks horrible.

Skyseternalangel 06-24-2012 09:43 PM

Yanking the horse around by its face to turn. Horses aren't a soft chair to sit on.. still gotta do things with your seat and legs, people!!

Or arching their backs while riding... it just looks painful!

Or the "zombie" arms while riding, instead of having them back to open your chest up, they're floating infront almost at chest level.. drives me crazy.

Tayz 06-24-2012 09:43 PM

At the moment because I have done so litttle riding over past 2 years i've noticed my feet, where it used to be they were tuck in right with heels down, now they are out, though luckily heels still down. Then i have a bad habit with elbows forward but when i start riding again will be working on that lol!

MLShunterjumper 06-24-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1564348)
Heavy hands holding a horse with it's neck inverted. Looks horrible.

I agree:-)

Skyseternalangel 06-24-2012 09:47 PM

And you're right about the puppy paws.. makes them look like they have broken wrists!!

Amlalriiee 06-24-2012 09:55 PM

"chair seat"....especially an exaggerated one, it just doesn't make any sense to me as far as trying to balance!

Chiilaa 06-25-2012 12:12 AM

See-sawing to get a horse to drop its nose...

~*~anebel~*~ 06-25-2012 12:45 AM

The nagging, spur-in-the-horses-side-every-stride, constantly pulling riders.

The horse always looks frustrated or "turned off"... Drives me nuts! If people could just sit and do nothing but follow the horse I wonder how fast they would figure out the horse will do the work!!

tinyliny 06-25-2012 01:36 AM

I was just going to say what Anebel said; the heel/spur in the side every stride.

Or, in the case of lunging a horse, the constant flipping of the whip and clucking nonstop, even thought the horse is already going nicely.