The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique my Quarter Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-my-quarter-horse-128362/)

The Northwest Cowgirl 06-25-2012 02:17 AM

Critique my Quarter Horse?

4 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd do this just for fun :P
I know absolutely NOTHING about conformation, so I need some help with Jake! The guy I bought him from said it was good that his hips rose above his shoulders, it would give him "power" when he galloped. The same guy also told me that he would not be a good horse for jumping and english riding, but I had another person (that I trust waaaaay more) tell me the exact opposite.

How's his conformation? What kind of showing/eventing (?) would you do with him? Any health issues I should be worried about due to conformation?
Also, sorry about the pictures, they're not the best! I tried to get some with different angles, but I'm not sure how they good they are as far as judging for conformation.... I'll try and get some better ones tomorrow of him squared up and of his chest and feet :P
Thanks!

BarrelracingArabian 06-25-2012 03:05 AM

How old is he?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 06-25-2012 03:25 AM

From the profile it says he is 4...

The Northwest Cowgirl 06-25-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1564720)
From the profile it says he is 4...

Yes, he's 4 :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Jewelsb 06-25-2012 12:55 PM

Dedinatly looks like a cow horse! I can't see him doing English sports such as dressage, eventing, or jumping. I'm sure he can learn all the English stuff but don't know that he would be good at it. Do you know his breeding? Personally I would stick to the western sports with him.
Yes he is hip high but he has a nice butt!
I like his neck. His legs look clean too. Nice short back.

soenjer55 06-25-2012 02:33 PM

I agree with Jewel- he's a lovely boy, but he's more suited to western, imo.
He has nice short pasterns that are on the posty side, nice short canon bones with low-set hocks, a deep girth and a short, strong back. He's downhill, with a straight shoulder. I really like his neck and head. That's the most I can see from these pictures. :)