The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Stall mats (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/stall-mats-128390/)

Breella 06-25-2012 12:09 PM

Stall mats

Can anyone suggest a cheaper stall mat? I'm currently looking at this one Tractor supply rubber stall mat 4x6

katbalu 06-25-2012 12:12 PM

Conveyor belts. Do you Have any industrial plants near you that would have old conveyor belts? Vulcan? Duracell? Etc?
Posted via Mobile Device

StrikinHigh 06-25-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katbalu (Post 1565104)
Conveyor belts. Do you Have any industrial plants near you that would have old conveyor belts? Vulcan? Duracell? Etc?
Posted via Mobile Device

Please don't be tempted to use old conveyer belts... They are slippery when wet, and are thin and flimsy, causing them to need quite a bit of maintenance. Get mats designed for stalls. I'd also suggest getting mats that have interlocking sides if your budget allows. The interlocking design keeps moisture and bedding from getting between the mats and gradually separating them.

Stall Skins are "suppose" to be cheaper than mats, but I haven't had experience with them. www.stallskins.com

I'm in the midst of finishing our new barn. I'm not to the point of putting in the stalls yet, so I haven't done a ton of looking for mats but what looking I've done has been for the interlocking mats, not the flat edged ones like you posted... That being said, the mats from TSC seem to be pretty cheap.

katbalu 06-25-2012 08:15 PM

Sorry. We just use ours for cushion under bedding to better pad the floor. They don't get wet, so I did not consider That some might not put bedding over them. The ones we use are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick
Posted via Mobile Device

StrikinHigh 06-25-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katbalu (Post 1565897)
Sorry. We just use ours for cushion under bedding to better pad the floor. They don't get wet, so I did not consider That some might not put bedding over them. The ones we use are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick
Posted via Mobile Device

Those are quite a bit thicker than the ones I've seen people try to use in barns. What I had in mind was the super thin variety that is pretty flexible. And you would think that bedding would take care of the moisture problem, but if the bedding isn't thick enough they can be pretty slippery.

katbalu 06-25-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikinHigh (Post 1565912)
Those are quite a bit thicker than the ones I've seen people try to use in barns. What I had in mind was the thing variety that is pretty flexible. And you would think that bedding would take care of the moisture problem, but if the bedding isn't thick enough they can be pretty slippery.

Agreed. We only got them because they were so thick, and about 4 ft wide. I have pretty thick bedding, so I've not had a problem with *slippery*, but I'll be sure now to always watch out for that.
Posted via Mobile Device

natisha 07-05-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrikinHigh (Post 1565912)
Those are quite a bit thicker than the ones I've seen people try to use in barns. What I had in mind was the super thin variety that is pretty flexible. And you would think that bedding would take care of the moisture problem, but if the bedding isn't thick enough they can be pretty slippery.

The thin ones can be dangerous too. I once boarded at a place with the thin belts for stall mats. My mare somehow got her leg under them & struggled, resulting in a broken leg. Thankfully it was only a splint bone fracture & she healed fine but to see her standing on 3 legs with the 4th horribly swollen scared me for life about conveyor belts in stalls.

I like the big heavy rubber mats & if they are properly installed they will remain flat with no bedding getting under them. They will waste bedding as the urine has no place to go except into the shavings.

I tried the Ground Master system & while it worked great at the beginning they have a surface grit that wears off & they get slick. I found this happened no matter how deeply I bedded. They are a beast to install too. Not cheap either. I gave them to a friend who uses them under dirt in her lean-to's & around her high traffic areas like the water tanks to keep the ground level & avoid mud. They are great for that.

I have finally found I like the Stall Skins the best. Wet spots are at a minimum, easy to install & less costly then good rubber mats. Correct drainage under them is a must.

StrikinHigh 07-05-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1581320)
The thin ones can be dangerous too. I once boarded at a place with the thin belts for stall mats. My mare somehow got her leg under them & struggled, resulting in a broken leg. Thankfully it was only a splint bone fracture & she healed fine but to see her standing on 3 legs with the 4th horribly swollen scared me for life about conveyor belts in stalls.

I have heard horror stories like that... just one more reason to nix conveyer belts! I definitely would never use them in my barn. And I would probably pass up boarding at a barn if they had them for stall flooring material.