The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Which habit in the show ring is worse??? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/habit-show-ring-worse-128417/)

Cinnys Whinny 06-25-2012 01:50 PM

Which habit in the show ring is worse???

Many of you know that I have an issue with my poor Cinny dear grinding his teeth during shows. It is something we are working on, and it IS getting better but still is enough of an issue that judges mark us down significantly for it.

Cinny has recently sustained a pretty bad injury and won't be showing for the rest of the year, and I have been graciously invited to use my trainer/BO's "baby."

I rode him yesterday and things went pretty ok. He is very different from Cinny. But... as an OTTB HE also has a somewhat annoying habit. He dangles his tongue out of his mouth and lets it limply flop while you ride. UGH!.

So, which do judges perceive as the worse of the two habits... occasional teeth grinding or constant tongue dangling? Just wondering and trying to learn.

I also researched this horse's recent scores (he has been showing Intro and Training levels too) and um... he consistently gets about 10 points lower than Cinny so I think the answer is that tongue dangling is worse...but wanted to see what you guys think.

kitten_Val 06-25-2012 02:42 PM

:rofl: Sorry, Cinny, but when I imagine the horse with the tongue flopping around the ring...

Seriously though I don't have an answer (since I have very limited experience). BTW, does he do it to entertain himself?

CLaPorte432 06-25-2012 02:55 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Im willing to bet the tongue flopping would be worse then teeth grinding...
Posted via Mobile Device

Dressage10135 06-25-2012 03:22 PM

I dont think you can look at the scores and jump to the conclusion that they are 10 points lower than Cinny's from JUST the tongue hanging out. You would have to see the entire ride and watch the rider and base your judging on that. I'm willing to bet that there are worse issues going on (just as there are in your, and anyone else's tests).

Cinnys Whinny 06-25-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1565456)
:rofl: Sorry, Cinny, but when I imagine the horse with the tongue flopping around the ring...

Seriously though I don't have an answer (since I have very limited experience). BTW, does he do it to entertain himself?

I believe it is a boredom thing. There are actually 2 OTTBs at our stable who do it and I know that Track horses often develop a lot of boredom habits like cribbing, weaving, etc...but I've never heard of this one. It's very ugly because it hangs out by about 4-5 inches and just flops like a dead fish hanging out of it's mouth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dressage10135 (Post 1565536)
I dont think you can look at the scores and jump to the conclusion that they are 10 points lower than Cinny's from JUST the tongue hanging out. You would have to see the entire ride and watch the rider and base your judging on that. I'm willing to bet that there are worse issues going on (just as there are in your, and anyone else's tests).

OH, I DON'T assume that. I have ridden this horse and I know that it has many things to work on. He literally FALLS into the bridle and on his fore, needs to develop topline, is a little stiff in his turns and doesn't engage his hind. Most of these issues I have been told are due to inconsistent work as there is so much going on with students, other horses, etc that she and her sister have little time to work him. This will be good for all concerned and I am looking forward to the challenges and learning experiences I will gain from working with this horse.

I was mostly asking the question out of curiosity so I am not surprised at the show with him next month. I know most of the dressage people on here will laugh when I say this but.... my goal is a 50% at TL :) Lower than my goal of 60 with Cin, but I think that will be a good goal for this horse's abilities and the fact that I have less than a month to work with him before the show.... my other goal is to just have fun and keep expectations SUPER LOW.

maura 06-25-2012 04:46 PM

Cinny, If you look through you previous posts, I known I posted part of the rule book that specifically addressed the teeth grinding.

If you can't find it in the posts, the easiest thing would be to look up a copy of the USEF dressage rule book. The rule book in general is a better source of how things are judged and scored than a message board.

Since it's specifically called out along with tail wringing as a sign of tension I believe it would be scored much more harshly that the tongue thing.

DraftXDressage 06-25-2012 04:47 PM

I think grinding teeth is a much bigger issue, as it signifies tension and/or lack of submission to the bit. Whether or not that's why Cinny does it, there's a good chance that's how a judge would perceive it. Tongue-dangling, on the other hand, while annoying, is actually a rather relaxed behavior (assuming we're not talking about a horse who is actually fidgeting with the bit and trying to get his tongue over it).

maura 06-25-2012 04:52 PM

http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2012/08-DR.pdf

Section 122, page 34.

Couldn't figure out how to paste the actual text, sorry.

Woodland Eventer 06-25-2012 05:32 PM

Does the horse make noise when he grinds his teeth? And does he do it when he's close to other horses more than when he's alone?

I know a horse that grinds his teeth and makes a noise(similar to a turkey call) in an attempt to scare other horses away.

Anyway, I would personally be much more aggrivated by the teeth grinding. A lot of horses hang their tongues when ridden and I don't feel that a limp tongue is a sign of resistance like grinding teeth may be.

Cinnys Whinny 06-25-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 1565661)
Cinny, If you look through you previous posts, I known I posted part of the rule book that specifically addressed the teeth grinding.

If you can't find it in the posts, the easiest thing would be to look up a copy of the USEF dressage rule book. The rule book in general is a better source of how things are judged and scored than a message board.

Since it's specifically called out along with tail wringing as a sign of tension I believe it would be scored much more harshly that the tongue thing.

Thanks :) know where I stand with the teeth issue, I was just mainly curious about the floppy, dead fish tongue of this other horse in comparison ha ha. He has moments where he literally looks like his tongue is paralyzed and just dangles...I've seen it when he lunges. It's funny at first, but ugly after a while.