The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Jumping - Horse throws kneesfeet to the right?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/jumping-horse-throws-kneesfeet-right-128421/)

Babycocoa 06-25-2012 02:10 PM

Jumping - Horse throws kneesfeet to the right??

My daughter is looking to buy a horse and she tried one out and when it jumps, it brings its knees up but it throws his knees/feet to the right hand side. You also have to jump it in the center of the jump and it has a tendency to drift to the left. Is there a reason why his knees/feet go off to the right instead of being tucked up under his chest? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Snizard93 06-25-2012 04:06 PM

I am not sure, but, why don't you find a horse that jumps properly?

NeuroticMare 06-25-2012 06:37 PM

It's probably a sign of hock/stifle soreness. My mare used to lean to the right (knees to the left) when her right hock was sore while it was fusing, that's when I knew it was time to inject.

There could be more to it than that, but it is not safe and may not be an easy fix, or a fix at all.

CJ82Sky 06-25-2012 08:55 PM

what the above poster said is likely right. may not necessarily be in the hocks, but could be in the knees, withers, shoulders, back, lumbar, etc. one way or another it's due to an unevenness in the gait or stride, and/or an unsoundness/unevenness in the muscling of the horse. it could be chiropractic, arthritic, really anything. without seeing the horse move, it's hard to say WHY, other than if you're looking to purchase a hunter for your daughter where movement counts, or even a jumper where speed an balance are super important, i wouldn't take on the horse without a significant reduction from asking price and willingness to invest time and money into finding out, addressing, and fixing the issue at it's core.

good luck!

Oxer 06-26-2012 12:59 AM

I don't always tend to default to a horse being in pain. I would first look at the rider. If the rider is poorly balanced, then the horse can't properly jump across the fence in a nice clean form. You also have to take in to consideration the riders ability to ride a distance. If they come up to the fence and leave the horse no choice but to chip in, you will notice they will try to buy the extra space by getting wiggly and uneven with their front end.

The fact that you say this horse drifts to the left, would make me instantly think "rider error".

I would put a qualified trainer on this horse and get some pictures of the horse jumping around.

Babycocoa 06-26-2012 06:13 PM

Thanks!

There was a trainer riding the horse who is an advanced level eventer and the horse was doing the same thing, so it wasn't a balance issue.

Our search continues...