The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Can i keep riding or may I have to drop out? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/can-i-keep-riding-may-i-128423/)

VT Trail Trotters 06-25-2012 03:21 PM

Can i keep riding or may I have to drop out?

This is a sorta new issue i have, ill start with what happened. Back in December 2011 i had a bad fall and i was 25 lbs heavier too so it may not of been to good on my back. But it took a bad fall on my back, i broke my tail bone and most likely compressed a few disks in my lower back. Ever since then i have issues with my back in that area. And i also got a knee issue so i got my old bike out and been doing that for the last few weeks. Now i havent biked in over a year cause of my knee. And the back problem is new so this is the first time with biking and my back. But ive found out its been killing my back and its now so bad that sitting on my bed just that pressure alone will cause some serious pain. And the other day my entire left leg and lower back were numb from sitting on my bed too. And other places... not better. So i quit biking, and i havent been riding since March, and only once I went riding. So im think i should take a lesson, see how it goes if it bugs my back or not or should i just go and not do that? I love riding, its my life but i really cant screw myself up more than i have already to just keep riding. Just what do you think i should do? Try a lesson, or no just get out of it? If i can ride, ill stay into horses 100%.

Faceman 06-25-2012 03:29 PM

Hard to say - back problems vary so much. I have been riding with a horribly bad back from an injury in 1976, but my injury may be different than yours. I find if I lift weights to strengthen my lower back muscles and do ab work to strengthen the opposing muscle group, the stronger muscles take the pressure off my spine...many people experience the same results...

VT Trail Trotters 06-25-2012 05:57 PM

Didnt know that, Faceman. I dont think strengthening my back in this case would help, if it could that be awesome. But what happened with your accident?

RunSlideStop 06-25-2012 06:03 PM

Have you seen a chiropractor? Many ailments that physicians will say need surgery can be greatly reduced or even fixed entirely with simple chiro care. It's a lot cheaper, too.

Faceman 06-25-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT Trail Trotters (Post 1565674)
Didnt know that, Faceman. I dont think strengthening my back in this case would help, if it could that be awesome. But what happened with your accident?

I was yanking up on a lawnmower starting cord. Rather anoying to say the least - one wrong movement and the rest of your life is affected.

The back injury is why I got into bodybuilding in the first place. The additional strength took the pressure off my lower spine - particularly when riding, as I could lock my back and carry the load and movement with my back and ab muscles. Now that I have been out of the bodybuilding for a few years, my back has gotten worse and worse. I can still ride a walk, canter, and gallop OK, but forget trotting...the only time I could sit a trot is when I was bodybuilding, and posting doesn't seem to help...

PurpleMonkeyWrench 06-25-2012 07:02 PM

I'm still riding with a back injury I was supposed to have surgery on, but didn't lol it does really depend on the severity of your injury. Have you had x-rays to pinpoint the exact problem?

VT Trail Trotters 06-25-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunSlideStop (Post 1565687)
Have you seen a chiropractor? Many ailments that physicians will say need surgery can be greatly reduced or even fixed entirely with simple chiro care. It's a lot cheaper, too.

I havent, i dont think id need surgery on it but i kinda doubt it could help, being its my lower back and tail bone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1565695)
I was yanking up on a lawnmower starting cord. Rather anoying to say the least - one wrong movement and the rest of your life is affected.

The back injury is why I got into bodybuilding in the first place. The additional strength took the pressure off my lower spine - particularly when riding, as I could lock my back and carry the load and movement with my back and ab muscles. Now that I have been out of the bodybuilding for a few years, my back has gotten worse and worse. I can still ride a walk, canter, and gallop OK, but forget trotting...the only time I could sit a trot is when I was bodybuilding, and posting doesn't seem to help...

****! I had no idea that could happen but really you can do things and screw up your body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleMonkeyWrench (Post 1565781)
I'm still riding with a back injury I was supposed to have surgery on, but didn't lol it does really depend on the severity of your injury. Have you had x-rays to pinpoint the exact problem?

I havent had x rays but it probally be a good idea that i do since i had my whole leg go numb and usually if that happens to you its not normal or a good thing.

Skyseternalangel 06-26-2012 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1565695)

My mom ruined her wrist by doing this :/ Darn lawn mowers.

VT Trail Trotters 06-26-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1566368)
My mom ruined her wrist by doing this :/ Darn lawn mowers.

I hate pull start lawnmowers! I have had it like pull back and almost dislocate my shoulder. It hurt and i killed it starting one, the pull thing ripped off so we got a new one, i like the new one starts easy.

DrumRunner 06-26-2012 02:42 AM

Like Faceman said, work on strengthening your over all core muscles, do a lot stretching.. From having Meningitis when I was little followed by a spinal tap that cause my spine to bend and then seizures on top of that because of the spinal tap I've had back problems my whole life, having a strong core and stretching helps a ton.