The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Easyboots???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/easyboots-128433/)

farley 06-25-2012 03:14 PM

Easyboots????

I have been deciding wether or not I want to put front shoes on my filly or get easyboots. However i have never used them and have no idea their pros and cons. please help me decide which is best, or help me choose an easyboot. :)

Oreos Girl 06-25-2012 04:33 PM

I have Cavellos boots not easy boots so I can't say anything about that particular boot. There are both pros and cons to the boots.
Pros: Much cheaper than having shoes put on my horse every 8 weeks. (Primary reason I started) 2nd, can go over any type of rock. The shoes only add about 1/4 inch of height to the hoof so if it is big rocks, it still will make the horse sore.

Cons: It takes much more effort to put the boots on than just picking out the hoof. Mine haven't done well in sandy environments though I do now have something to help hold the straps closed so that shouldn't be a problem any more. They do not do well in mud unless you get the spikes but you don't always need the spikes. Oreo will sometimes trip on them, but he was bad about front and back feet hitting before the boots. Once he went to his knees and I came off but that was because I was sitting badly because my but was sore from a longer ride.

I have tried to make a promise that I would try these for a full year. I am 6 months into it and I am not sure what I am going to do next year.

kitten_Val 06-25-2012 08:10 PM

Why do you want to put shoes on? If you ride in rocky parks I'd say easyboots would be good enough for protection (I use Easyboot Edge on my horse). However if your horse has some issues (like wearing out the hoofs or doing stressful sport) then shoes may be a way to go. What does your farrier say?

farley 06-25-2012 08:47 PM

I do long trail rides sometimes I am on soft dirt, others I am on rocky terrain. My filly is three and although are rides are still farely short, she can be/ gets tender specially on gravel and rough terrain. My farrier says I could go either way. I would like to do boots personally.

Foxtail Ranch 06-25-2012 09:19 PM

I have used both shoes and boots. I have used Easyboot Glove and Trail. The glove was difficult to put on so we are trying the trail. Much easier to put on but the Velcro can get clogged with mud. I still like them because I have a choice. Especially since I sometimes ride on pavement and shoes on pavement=slipping.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 06-25-2012 09:19 PM

If there is nothing wrong with hoofs (and it sounds like) I'd go with boots. The usual approach is use just fronts, but some people I know who ride in mountains sometime put boots on all 4.

As for type... I really like Easyboot Gloves (they are easy to put on), but the hoofs should be "ideal shape". I used Bares for while, and then switched to Edge. Didn't like Epics much (because I had wire to go loose). I know people complain about putting those boots on, but I never had an issue: it took me couple mins/boot to put on.

Someone on forum got Easyboot Trail and was very happy with it. So you may search for older threads.

I had a bad luck with Cavallo: it was bulky, and I never was able to tighten it enough. Old Macs look very bulky and hard to put on too (but I never tried to ride in Old Macs).

I've heard nice words about Renegades, but I also know several people who lost them in mud (I never did with my Bares and Edge). Not sure if the boots were not tight enough or what.

kitten_Val 06-25-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffanyodonnell (Post 1566055)
The glove was difficult to put on

Whenever I read that I tell myself to take a video how I put mine on (seriously, it takes no time). And I always forget... :lol:

Foxtail Ranch 06-25-2012 09:55 PM

Maybe they were Epics bc they had wires on them. Yeah, where was ur video when I needed it?! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 06-26-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffanyodonnell (Post 1566125)
Maybe they were Epics bc they had wires on them. Yeah, where was ur video when I needed it?! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

With Gloves you just pull on and tighten the gator. Really simple. I got a measuring kit hoping they'll fit my qh, but they didn't. :(

Haha! Yeah, I should of do it. I do it differently from what they show in video on Easyboot site (at least used to show while back). I pull the hoof forward (like I gonna trim the edges) and pull the boot on in that position. Really quick and simple.

AllyCee 06-26-2012 09:00 AM

At the riding stable I work at the only thing we use it Easyboots. The owner used to do horseshoes but switched over the Easyboots when she had problems with one of her horse's hooves. When I first started working there I had some trouble getting them on and off. But the more you put the boots on and take them off the easier it gets! The Easyboot website does a really good job of telling you how to size the boots.