The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse Trembling from Cold Due to a Cool Down Bath? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-trembling-cold-due-cool-down-128531/)

tlkng1 06-26-2012 09:13 AM

Horse Trembling from Cold Due to a Cool Down Bath?

I’ve had this happen a couple of times now and am curious. My horse doesn’t necessarily care for the wash rack but he stands quietly so I don’t think this is fear related. After working, or just doing a cool down rinse off due to high heat, I will hose off using warm water, about as warm as when giving a normal bath, and then follow it up with cooler water. If the horse has been worked in heat, like lunging yesterday, I cooled him out normally, used the warm water first and then sponged him off with cold water (hose cold) with liniment added. Just as I finished with the liniment bath he started trembling all over. He was walking fine, no sign of discomfort, was alert and "normal" and after a few minutes of walking around the trembling stopped…it was 90 degrees out yesterday so I would never imagine a horse getting so cold from a quick cool sponge down or even cool water hose down would cause trembling due to cold. I will add that in both cases where I gave him the secondary liniment bath he had this same trembling.

I have never heard of a liniment bath causing any type of allergic reaction (only word I can think of) and it could just be coincidence.

Shropshirerosie 06-26-2012 09:27 AM

I'm not used to your weather, but I would try washing him off in the lukewarm water as you describe, then omitting the Cooler water. If he's got very hot in work he will be better to cool gradually, which will occur from the shower evaporating off. A sudden dose of cold water on a hot animal (or human!) is not pleasant and not necessarily healthy.

jaydee 06-26-2012 09:33 AM

trembling after cold hose

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 1566768)
I’ve had this happen a couple of times now and am curious. My horse doesn’t necessarily care for the wash rack but he stands quietly so I don’t think this is fear related. After working, or just doing a cool down rinse off due to high heat, I will hose off using warm water, about as warm as when giving a normal bath, and then follow it up with cooler water. If the horse has been worked in heat, like lunging yesterday, I cooled him out normally, used the warm water first and then sponged him off with cold water (hose cold) with liniment added. Just as I finished with the liniment bath he started trembling all over. He was walking fine, no sign of discomfort, was alert and "normal" and after a few minutes of walking around the trembling stopped…it was 90 degrees out yesterday so I would never imagine a horse getting so cold from a quick cool sponge down or even cool water hose down would cause trembling due to cold. I will add that in both cases where I gave him the secondary liniment bath he had this same trembling.

I have never heard of a liniment bath causing any type of allergic reaction (only word I can think of) and it could just be coincidence.

Taking him from very hot to very cold even with the warm shower in between might just be enought to 'chill' him momentarily especially as he is fine very soon afterwards once his outer body temperature is back to normal. You could try experimenting on yourself by jumping into a cold shower straight after getting hot and sweaty to see if it has the same effect on you - not meant to be sarcastic but it happens to me!!

mls 06-26-2012 10:12 AM

Are you scraping off the excess water?

tlkng1 06-26-2012 10:14 AM

In these cases he isn't sweaty hot..I always do a standard cool down prior to putting the water on him which is why I rinse off with bath warm water first then do the cooler water rinse down. Since he goes back to normal very quickly I am not worried overmuch...I just had never seen a horse shiver in 90+ degree heat.

As for taking off the excess water, always.