The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   EZ up stirrup extenders??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/ez-up-stirrup-extenders-128565/)

horsesaremylyfe 06-26-2012 01:34 PM

EZ up stirrup extenders???

The horse I lease is 16.1 and I'm not exactly tall so I have trouble mounting from the ground. I'm going to be doing games in pony club later this year, and I came across the EZ stirrup extenders.

Does anyone own them? How do they work? Do you recommend them?

Thanks so much!

StrikinHigh 06-26-2012 10:58 PM

My mom tried these several years ago, but it was the western version... (It sounds like you talking about an english version?) You replace your stirrup with the EZ stirrup (obviously lol!) and when you want to mount, you slide the EZ stirrup down. I think it goes down about 3" but don't quote me on that. That's pretty significant in lowering it enough to put your foot in the stirrup. That made it easy to mount, but I thought it made it a little awkward because then you weren't quite high enough to swing your leg over very gracefully... It's like your crotch was a little too low so instead of swinging over and sitting, you have to swing over and scoot up. But that may have been something to do with the saddle, as it was my moms and its possible her stirrups were longer than I needed or something when I was just trying it out - I honestly don't remember. After you are mounted in the saddle, you can pull the stirrup back up into its original position with your toe.

Ladytrails 06-26-2012 11:06 PM

I have a pair on my saddle and really like them. They work. They make it hard to wrap a (western) stirrup hobble around the fender and straps, but it can be done. The western version drops around 4" and is easy to push back up with your toe. They are bulky and heavy, but once you get the saddle on the horse and mounted, they're not in the way.