The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Modular/Pre-fab Barns or Traditional Barns? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/modular-pre-fab-barns-traditional-barns-128575/)

Elizabeth Bowers 06-26-2012 02:11 PM

Modular/Pre-fab Barns or Traditional Barns?

My husband and i are debating on whether or not to move. SO i was looking into properties that had barns, some new, some needed restored. And i was looking into just having enough property for the horses and maybe to add a structure later. :?
I was wondering if it would be best to get a place with a barn, or if we should look into a prefab barn to put on the property. Or if we should just wing it and put up a pole barn ourselves. :shock: Pros and cons of both would be great. I'm really liking the prefab barns JMO. Any kind of input would be great! :-|

Thank you!

*Our current living conditions are up in the air at the moment, and might be forced to move anyway* Any kind of help would be great!! :oops:

Lockwood 06-26-2012 02:45 PM

We are not all that far from you and went through the same debate when I bought my property, which was not a farm at all, just a big chunk of acres with a house.
Oh the choices... metal ones, wood ones, kits, prefabs, scratch, roofing types, not to mention styles. Oh yeah... the budget too.

There are a number of barn builders in my area and I went with an Amish company that allowed me to place an order for my barn based on one of their somewhat pre-fab designs with my own modifications added to it. Now I didn't have horses at that time but got an all purpose barn with a large over hang, horsie style

Most of the major ground grading I did my self with my tractor and they finished it to their specs then laid the base. About three weeks after I placed the order the crew of about a dozen Amish workers showed up along with the materials and I had a barn put up lickity split.
Having built a number of smaller pole buildings and storage type stuff I knew my capabilities to build the barn I wanted did not match up.

I love my barn and am glad the experts did it and I did not try to build it myself. A friend and neighbor farm has an all purpose pole barn they built themselves. They did not grade it right nor build it as well as a professional. Initially it wasn't bad and got them by, but the barn is less than ten years old and every year they spend considerable amounts of time and money fixing it.
Everything needs fixing... the base, the floors (rotted out) the frame the roof, and especially the grading because it floods something terrible. It shouldn't considering the placement and the gaps and holes it developed are alarming.
Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.

Rhen 07-04-2012 12:03 AM

I have No horses, but live in PA................and I must say the amish does a great job building barns and pretty fast too!! Good luck!

Elizabeth Bowers 07-04-2012 09:36 AM

Thanks! And i know i've seen alot of amish work when we went out to Lancaster Pa to visit his aunt. Its beautiful. Hubby i think has decided to build the barn, and his garage first, then our house. I'm not totally sure, he keeps changing his mind on whats going on. I'm definitely going on a budget for this, whether or not he really likes it!! ;)

myhorsesonador 07-04-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Bowers (Post 1580285)
Thanks! And i know i've seen alot of amish work when we went out to Lancaster Pa to visit his aunt. Its beautiful. Hubby i think has decided to build the barn, and his garage first, then our house. I'm not totally sure, he keeps changing his mind on whats going on. I'm definitely going on a budget for this, whether or not he really likes it!! ;)

Be carefull. We wanted to build a barn, metal building for my dad, AND our house. Well all we got was the house and now we are broke broke.

Elizabeth Bowers 07-04-2012 06:02 PM

Thanks. We're going to take our time with this, i just feel my horses need a barn before i need my house. Hubby just wants a garage he can store his toys in LOL. I'm being very careful with our money. As of our present financial moment we live from pay check to pay check.... :/

littrella 07-04-2012 09:23 PM

well, you could do a simple pole barn for starters & build your dream barn later.

Elizabeth Bowers 07-05-2012 05:49 PM

That just might end up happening...since the recent change is jobs and whatnot..

scottjul2 07-07-2012 08:46 AM

Barn type ?

The best advice I could give you is figure out what you like and need and can afford but before you sign on the dotted line get at least 2 or 3 references. We are having a 4 stall barn built as we speak by Amishman in southern Lancaster Pa. I shopped around talked with builders and when I found what I wanted ,I narrowed it down to 3 builders and had them quote apples to apples, as it turned out the builder we decided on came with 3 great references and most of the options for his barn were included. Footers were in on time and the barn is half way completed (we went and visited his shop yesterday) Good Luck!! don't forget the references , get a contract with completion dates on it before you sign anything. I got burned by a builder that seemed like such a "Good Guy" a few years ago and lost lots of $$

Scott

Saddlebag 07-07-2012 02:27 PM

I spent a winter with graph paper and per square foot costs for DIY. I started out drawing to scale what I'd love to have then worked out the cost. Holy Cow! OK, let's pare this down a little, actually a lot.You need to decide how much you want to spend vs what you really need. As my teen gal-friend's mom used to remind us "Live within our means, not our dreams".