The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Got a problem, what sort of bedding?!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/got-problem-what-sort-bedding-1286/)

meggymoo 03-26-2007 07:05 AM

Got a problem, what sort of bedding?!?!

Ok, something has been niggling at me for weeks now and I need advice.
When a mare goes into foal inside, she's suppose to have straw as bedding, as anything else could get in the newborns nostrils etc......

:roll: Well my problem is that Meg eats straw, and I mean if she has a choice between hay and straw, the straw wins every time! So for the past year she's been on a bed of shavings. But this isn't going to be any good for the foal is it?!?!?

Anyone got any suggestions, because I'm at a loss??

:D

hsharp123 03-26-2007 11:55 AM

Hi,

My mare is exactly the same! But i have been told many times that a horse wont eat something that is bad for it out of choice and also that there are also two types of straw

1) barley straw- this is soft fluffy and usually very yellow/golden - this is relatively harmless to horses and used to be fed to them back in the dark ages as forrage!

2) wheat straw - This is usually darker in colour and much crispier (if that makes sense, almost stick like) altogether harder and hardly fluffy at all. This again doesnt usually harm them in small amounts and unless your horse is prone to getting bunged up or bouts of colic it really wont hurt.

The only inconvenience is the loss of bed and having to top it up with new bales more frequently. She (if not a colic sufferer) will do just fine on straw while she has her baby.....if she doesnt supprise you and do it in the field on her own. hehe

Pics of the foal when it comes pls!!!! All the best!

Elz x

pantha1 03-28-2007 01:33 AM

Hi,

There is a rubber matting you can buy to put in stables, not sure of the name, and is very expensive........other wise double the amount of straw you put down each night...lol

spoiledrottenpenner 03-28-2007 02:39 PM

go to yur local wood place and ask if they have some wood shavings that would be best my friend has the same problem and wood shavings worked great.

meggymoo 03-28-2007 03:41 PM

:D Thanks everyone for your advice/suggestions! :D

I just didn't like the idea of straw as I know how much she loves it. And I'd hate for her to get bunged up or colic etc.

A friend has suggested lightly sprinkling some kind of anti-bacterial or disenfectant fluid down, mixed with water and in a watering can, just to put her off eating it. What do you think?

spoiledrottenpenner 03-28-2007 04:50 PM

no because if she does eat that she will get sick

prettypalfrey 04-02-2007 06:57 AM

So shavings shouldn't be used?

meggymoo 04-02-2007 09:29 AM

Hi Pretty palfrey, :D

Shavings would be so much better for me, but everyone I've spoke to suggests straw........ Due to dust and sometimes the shavings can be really small....

I'm rather confused :?

Does anyone here think shavings would be ok?

horseoftheyear 04-02-2007 09:45 AM

i think you should listen to your friend's suggestion someone on my farm had the same problem and the anti-bacterial stuff worked a treat ! ! ! x

meggymoo 04-02-2007 09:56 AM

Aww thanks. :D I do know a few people that use it, Its just enough to stop her from trying to eat it....