The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Novice Rider? u/s? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/novice-rider-u-s-128601/)

iamanequestrian 06-26-2012 06:21 PM

Novice Rider? u/s?

Hello, I was wondering what is the exact definition of a novice rider. I will be entering...
Novice Rider Equitation o/f 2'
Novice Rider Hunter o/f 2'
Novice Rider Equitation

Could somebody define these classes thuroughly please?

What does u/s mean?

A few of the classes have that in their title
for example:Novice Rider Hunter u/s

Thank you! :)

iamanequestrian 06-26-2012 07:15 PM

Nobody?

iamanequestrian 06-26-2012 07:16 PM

Does anybody have an idea?

SunnyK01 06-26-2012 07:22 PM

It will probably depend on the organization. At the Arabian shows I've shown in, novice meant you had not won more than 3 first place ribbons in that discipline. At many of the smaller schooling shows I've been to, they have based novice off of years of experience.

When in doubt, just ask the show manager. they are usually happy to explain the rules :)

Golden Horse 06-27-2012 08:58 PM

I would wonder if you can enter novice, seeing as on this thread http://www.horseforum.com/horse-ridi...uction-127479/ you say you are starting and finishing horses, you may have to much experience to be a novice.

If you are being paid to teach that would also technically make you a professional, so that would also affect what level you could ride at.

Just a couple of things to be aware of.

waresbear 06-27-2012 09:10 PM

Novice means not to have won 3 firsts in that division, unless otherwise stated in the showbill rules. Our club has a novice division which means first 3 years of showing, any age. Beginner classes means just that, beginner first year of showing. Doesn't matter if you're a trainer or have trained horses, it's is based on your showing experience. Most trainers or skilled horsepeople don't enter the novice or beginners classes because they want more competition therefore they show open.

AlexS 06-27-2012 09:12 PM

u/s = under saddle

MudPaint 07-05-2012 08:19 PM

Novice is typically limited to those of a particular age, within the first two years of showing, or have not obtained so many blue ribbons. Each show has slightly different rules, but basically it's for those new to showing.

If you have a green horse and are an experienced rider, look for green horse, novice horse, or schooling classes. Typically the show bill has a short blurb on what the division is about.

u/s is the flat class... on the rail w/t/c

xJumperx 07-07-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1569842)
Most trainers or skilled horsepeople don't enter the novice or beginners classes because they want more competition therefore they show open.

Unfortunatly, where we usually show, this is not usually the case :/ We had a trainer of 10 years (That is, training for 10 years, riding for much longer) enter the same 2'6" division as me and Cowboy on her seasoned lesson horse. Why? She wanted more points.

OP - Everything has been awnsered, just wanted to point that out ;)

MudPaint 07-08-2012 06:53 PM

^^ Sounds like someone who doesn't have enough students to keep her busy.