The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   How many years? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/how-many-years-12868/)

buckaroo2010 08-06-2008 04:15 PM

How many years?

So Im still undecided on what I want to be and I was wondering about a Vet Tech and I was wondering how many year you got to go to college for that? :)

claireauriga 08-06-2008 05:44 PM

My degree course is five years long - and remember, it takes three to get a BSc, BEng or BA in the UK!

I'm doing an MEng in chemical engineering, which takes four years, plus the fourth year is going to be spent working in industry. So five years total - I'll be nearly twenty-three by the time I graduate!

And I also want my PhD, and to get chartered, and maybe once I've earned some money I'll go into research ... I wouldn't mind spending more time at uni :)

EDIT: I misread it xD I'm tired, lol. I thought you were asking how long we all got to go to uni for.

As for being a vet tech? Absolutely no idea how long that would take!

My2Geldings 08-06-2008 09:24 PM

It depends on where you are located. One of my old friends took the program here and it took her 2 years.

The length of the program shouldn't matter if you enjoy what you're taking.

FutureVetGirl 08-07-2008 05:00 AM

It depends on the school, the program, the individual teachers, and YOU. Veterinary Technicians can go to school anywhere from 2-8 years.

Here are a couple questions that may help (not with college years, but with the whole realm of Veterinary Medicine):

1. Are you wanting to get a Doctrites (DVM) in Veterinary Medicine?
2. Are you wanting a basic degree to help you with YOUR pets? Or with others'?
3. What are your future plans? (a biggie)
4. Do you mind going to school for a long time?
5. Are you going to enjoy studying about blood, parasites, insects, and other seemingly "gross" things?
6. Do you mind dissecting animals like cats, dogs, horses, cows, etc?
7. Would you have the skills and the patience to operate on an animal? (most vet techs as well as DVM veterinarians need to do so)

By 2-8 years, I'm not talking about in total. Those are just the years that you'll be putting in for your degree. You have two more years where you get your undergraduate. Some schools and some majors you don't NEED an undergraduate for studying it, but Vet work, (actually, anything with medicine) needs the basic biology and chemistry classes that you get in the first two years of College.

I'm not trying to discourage you. But to help you. I'm not an expert. I'm looking into these things as well. I'm not going for Vet Tech, or Veterinarian Paramedic, but I'm going for the whole shebang... aka, a DVM in Veterinary Medicine.

For the biggest things, I wouldn't say it's "how many years" as much as "which school?"

If you're wanting just a basic Vet Tech degree, most state, community, and "major" schools will offer something. BUT, if you're looking at getting a DVM, you'll have a bit more trouble. I'm talking about the United States when I say this: There are only 28 schools in the whole of the US that offer a doctrites degree in Veterinary Medicine. Makes it a whole lot harder to find something? Right?

Good luck with this. And wish me luck. It's a great profession, and I hope it's as right for you as it is for me. :D

buckaroo2010 08-07-2008 04:32 PM

Thanks everyone! I want to be able to do my horses and animals records and med and stuff but with out going the whold 8 years oh vet school I want to get out as soon as I can so I can junp right in with my career and I was just thinking a vet tech would be great and I think it would be something I would enjoy a lot :)