The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   Pasture management and wild yarrow (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/pasture-management-wild-yarrow-128699/)

Koolio 06-27-2012 11:22 AM

Pasture management and wild yarrow

My pasture is becoming over-run by yarrow (also called milfoil). The horses don't eat it, and they won't eat the grass around it. I've been pulling the new pants, removing a big chunk of the root, but on 8 acres I can't keep up. I don't really want to spray with an herbicide, and because the root systems is so interconnected, I don't know how well it will work. Does anyone have any suggestions to get rid of this obnoxious plant?

Saddlebag 06-27-2012 12:16 PM

Ive used Roundup and rather than spray, used a small paintbrush and applied to two leaves. The plant will take it to it's roots. It's a growth hormone that speeds up the life cycle. It will be dead within 5 days. I get rid of young poplar that way altho they take about 7 days.

Saddlebag 06-27-2012 12:19 PM

BTW. if you have a burning barrel, throw a handful of the yarrow in there. The mosquitoes don't go near the smoke from it.

Koolio 06-27-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1568895)
BTW. if you have a burning barrel, throw a handful of the yarrow in there. The mosquitoes don't go near the smoke from it.

Good idea! I certainly have enough stockpiled to keep the mosquitos away for quite some time.

waresbear 06-27-2012 08:43 PM

That is a horrible weed! It overtook a lake in BC, that wicked milfoil. By the way, it's not native to this region, someone brought in and it took off.

Joe4d 06-27-2012 09:36 PM

the yarrow/ milfoil mentioned isnt the same weed as the eurasion milfoil that takes over lakes.

Yarrow grows in acidic soils. Spraying herbicides is treating symptoms. Your pasture needs lime.

waresbear 06-27-2012 09:38 PM

Thanks Joe, never knew there was a difference. But both are obnoxious weeds, correct?

Joe4d 06-27-2012 10:54 PM

I looked em up, Sheep like the new shoots on the land based yarrow plant it is also native to North America. The Eurasian milfoil that clogs up lakes is an invasive species and yep it can be a pain. I have no idea why governments allow and people insist on importing foreign plants and animals.

Koolio 06-28-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1569788)
Yarrow grows in acidic soils. Spraying herbicides is treating symptoms. Your pasture needs lime.

Thanks for the advice. I suspected as much. I think I will do a soil test to see exactly what and how much I need to add. The pasture used to be a hay field with about 30% alfalfa. The alfalfa will benefit from the lime as well. Since this is only our second season here, I think I will do a soil test to get a more precise read on what the pasture needs. I heard liming without fertilizing can make things worse. Do you know if you can mix the lime and fertilizer in one dry application?

In the meantime, I have been pulling the yarrow by hand (it is just about to flower). I also plan to mow the longer stands of grass gone to seed this weekend. I also harrow / spread the manure well in preparation for lime and fertilizer. I have been harrowing and rotational grazing, but this clearly isn't enough. We have also had quite dry weather with lots of wind, so I will have to wait for a calm day with some rain in the forecast.

jphshs 07-19-2012 11:15 PM

Here is my question also about pastures and weeds: We are in southeastern Va on 20 acres. Our fields are getting more and more mares tail and broom straw in them. We have used Cimmeron, Cimmeron Plus and 2-4-D. The fields are now a mix of Max Q fescue and orchard grass. We were told that putting down lime would take out the broom straw....didn't work. We can slow down the mares tail but after googling it, I don't think you ever get rid of it. My husband wants to mix the 2 chemicals. I know I should call the extention office (which I will) but I am wandering what others do and what you would recommend. Appreciate any ideas you offer.