The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   sacking out an 11 month old (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/sacking-out-11-month-old-128741/)

barrelbeginner 06-27-2012 05:23 PM

sacking out an 11 month old

gee i have alot to say about camo.. sorry for all the posts:/ my question is... can i sack out an 11 month old and will she remember it all once i go to ride her?

i can do so much with her already and i just want to make sure that me doing this so early is going to help later on? is it too early to be doing so?

barrelbeginner 07-02-2012 04:57 PM

anyone??

OwnedByAlli 07-02-2012 05:08 PM

I wouldn't sack her out just yet, well I don't sack horses anyway, but she's so young I wouldn't want to be putting too much pressure on her joints and muscles yet. If she spooks with the sack on her back, she could hurt herself if the dead weight twists her spine or something.

I would concentrate on making her ground work perfect in every situation, and get her moving from pressure. If she knows ground work like turn on the forehand, back, turn on the haunches etc, take her out for in hand walks and ask her to do stuff like turn on the forehand in a strange environment.

Teach her leaving any buddies and the safety of the yard isn't scary, and she can trust her human handlers. Get friends to come visit her and get her used to comotion and people laughing and not being toatlly horse-sane around her.

You could take her long reining, but idk if you have bitted her yet? What have you done? How far have you gotten?

Foals learn a heck of a lot in their first couple of years in this world. Things that happen now will be ingrained in her brain so keep everything light hearted, fun, safe and friendly :-)

lilkitty90 07-02-2012 05:10 PM

do you have a horse you can pony her with? i used to do this with sparta, he gets the whole trail ride experience, but without the saddle, and weight. i would just pony her out on a trail. keep it minimum from 30 mins to an hour only.

Saddlebag 07-02-2012 05:28 PM

Of course you can sack her out. Have you checked out Horse Agility? Very popular in the UK. It will give you some ideas for setting up a play area, as you are playing with your horse, and what to do. It refines groundwork but adds more interest.

aforred 07-02-2012 05:34 PM

Sacking out can be a great trust building exercise. Even if she doesn't remember the specific items you use, she will be more likely to trust you when she's scared of something.
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 07-02-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OwnedByAlli (Post 1577579)
I wouldn't sack her out just yet, well I don't sack horses anyway, but she's so young I wouldn't want to be putting too much pressure on her joints and muscles yet. If she spooks with the sack on her back, she could hurt herself if the dead weight twists her spine or something.

I would concentrate on making her ground work perfect in every situation, and get her moving from pressure. If she knows ground work like turn on the forehand, back, turn on the haunches etc, take her out for in hand walks and ask her to do stuff like turn on the forehand in a strange environment.

Teach her leaving any buddies and the safety of the yard isn't scary, and she can trust her human handlers. Get friends to come visit her and get her used to comotion and people laughing and not being toatlly horse-sane around her.

You could take her long reining, but idk if you have bitted her yet? What have you done? How far have you gotten?

Foals learn a heck of a lot in their first couple of years in this world. Things that happen now will be ingrained in her brain so keep everything light hearted, fun, safe and friendly :-)

by sacking out i mean desensitizing lol not putting anything on her back

and if you read all my other threads if thats not to hard to find idk if it is but she can do ALOT already::))

loosie 07-03-2012 02:03 AM

Yes, of course you can start now. I'm a great believer in starting teaching anything & everything as young as possible, with the exception of putting weight on babies or high impact stuff that will damage joints, etc. The more you do now, the more solid he'll be & less new experiences he'll have thrown at him when he's old enough to 'start'.

He'll certainly remember the basic lessons, especially if you continue playing 'games' & don't just do it once or twice now & do nothing else for a couple of years. It's the way that you do it as to whether it can be stressful for them, at whatever age. I don't believe confrontational methods are best and don't help develop a horse's trust in the handler - often just the opposite - and learning he can trust you, despite your wierd & wonderful 'toys' & behaviour, is what it's all about IMO.

Shropshirerosie 07-03-2012 02:46 PM

This is my day for asking for translations...

What does Sacking Out mean?

Thank you!

jaydee 07-03-2012 03:00 PM

sacking out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shropshirerosie (Post 1578941)
This is my day for asking for translations...

What does Sacking Out mean?

Thank you!

Please please please do not use this term. You are British we 'get our horses used to stuff' - thats all it means by the way. I have no idea where it came from or why flapping a sack at a horse is essential as I never once in all my long life ever got attacked by a loose sack when I was riding in a menage, on a track or on a road!!! I got all my youngsters used to rugs (blankets) by allowing them to look at them, reassure them thats its not a deadly weapon, fold it up and place carefully on the back and repeat until its confident enough for me to unfold it I dont fasten them up until I am fairly sure its not going to throw a hissy fit when it moves with it on its back - I have seen horses seriously injure themselves when they have a panic attack & bolt the first time they realise they have a strange object attached to them. None of my horses have any concerns about having a blanket shook out under their noses or pulled around their heads. Some learn very quickly some it takes longer. I never tie a horse up when I introduce it to anything new unless you want to watch it disapear with a door or something dragging behind of course.
For this lady with the youngster the more you do with it now - short of riding or anything else to compromise its joints - then the better it will be. By the time you get on them they just think its another step along the way. makes your life and theirs so much easier.