The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Mysterious Rash? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mysterious-rash-12876/)

QuarterPony 08-06-2008 06:51 PM

Mysterious Rash?

Hello!

When I brought Cooper in from the pasture today, I saw that he had something on his back. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a rash on the ridge of his back. It is red and splotchy, and it itches him. By 2:30pm (14.30) it had spread to the tops of his sides and across his rump. He was in a small pasture for the night -- no poisons (or potential poisons) to be found, only grass and a couple trees. Does anyone know what this could be?

I can describe the rash more or anything else you need to know if you send me a personal message. I most likely will forget to check back here... :oops:

Thanks in advance,

Maggie

Vidaloco 08-06-2008 06:57 PM

I wonder if its some sort of reaction to the sun. He may have eatten something that made him photosensitive. Since its just along his top, that would be my guess. I'm not sure on a course of action, maybe some aniprin (aspirin) and a topical antibiotic?

NorthernMama 08-06-2008 10:14 PM

Is it swollen at all? Maybe a reaction to an insect bite? Or something that fell from a tree -- like sap?

I wonder if a baking soda wash would help or harm? Maybe someone else has an opinion on that. I can't see it doing any harm, myself.

QuarterPony 08-06-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernmama
Is it swollen at all? Maybe a reaction to an insect bite? Or something that fell from a tree -- like sap?

I just went back out to check on him -- it's spread even more now. It isn't swollen (yet, at least), and I can't see anything that points to a bee or wasp sting or an insect bite (as far as I can tell, of course!). I don't know about sap, though... I can go out to the trees and check.

NorthernMama 08-06-2008 10:51 PM

If there isn't a spot of sap on his back, then that's not it -- I was thinking of something in the sap that might have bit him or caused a more localized reaction, but this is spreading quickly. Keep an eye on his temperature and circulation. He may need a vet. Sure enough a poisonous plant could do this and they are easy to miss in a field. A virus can do it too.

Were any other horses with him? If so, are any others showing similar symptoms?

QuarterPony 08-06-2008 10:58 PM

My four Gypsies were in the pasture with him, and they are all fine. I plan on checking him tomorrow morning and, if it gets worse, call the vet. Does this plan of attack sound good?

Maggie

NorthernMama 08-06-2008 11:05 PM

That would be about 24 hours, right? I'd say by then it should be getting better. If not, or if you see any other symptoms before then like being lethargic, weak, not breathing properly, fast heart rate, pale gums, excessive thirst, call the vet.

Could be just something he rolled in, maybe?

Good luck and let us know what happens.

FoxyRoxy1507 08-07-2008 10:03 AM

try giving him a bath in apple cider vinegar, it's like using medicated shampoo/soap, my vet recommended it when my horse got hives and also when another horse got a rash, she said the vinegar in it helps to kill what ever bacteria is causing it to spread.

My2Geldings 08-07-2008 10:56 AM

Hi pony,
Is there any way you could post some pictures? I actually just ran into this problem 2 weeks ago. The mare I was looking at buying looked like she a fungus. The vet took a look at it and said it was a skin cancer then upon biopsy it was just discovered it was ringworm...

It could be a lot of things. Could be the sun, could be a coat ointment you are putting on, could be that he simply (and oddly) rubbed himself there, could be a fungus, could be ringworm for all we know.

would love pics so I can give it a good guess :D

Ryle 08-07-2008 11:08 AM

In this sort of situation the very first thing you should do is to wash the area and rinse it very very well. That way if it's an allergic reaction to something your pet got into you help cut down the amount of whatever it is that is left on the skin. You can also try applying a topical antihistamine cream like you do for bug-bites or skin irritations in humans. But if it is spreading quickly or swollen just wash it and call your vet.