The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Freejumping Maia!! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/freejumping-maia-12877/)

JustDressageIt 08-06-2008 07:15 PM

Freejumping Maia!!

Oh my goodness!! I've seen lots of horses jump, but man Maia has style!
I freejumped her today. I've jumped her before, but never knew what it looked like, so today I did a warm-up in the saddle, then took everything off and freejumped her - it was SO exciting!!
Started off with a simple crossrail, which seemed too easy for her, so we bumped it up to a vertical, and that was still too easy, she trotted over it.. So we put it to about 2'6" (vertical) and put a canter pole in front of it to make her think about her distance... SHE JUMPED THE WHOLE THING!! It had to be a 6' spread (or more!) between the ground pole and the jump, and the jump was 2'6" - she did it without so much as trying!
She has a REALLY cute tuck, and really uses her back. My friend and I were absolutely blown away at how well she did.
I only jumped her to about 3' (again, with absolute ease!) because I didn't want her to get overfaced.
I am so excited! I can't wait to (slowly) get the ball rolling for jumping under saddle!!:D:D

Oh, and she was SO HAPPY doing it - she cantered around the ring (slowly!) with her ears pricked, tail high, and lower lip flopping around. We didn't even have to work hard to get her over the fence - she only deeked out once and that was my fault, other than that she jumped it and really enjoyed it! I didn't have to worry about setting up a chute or anything, it was just two standards against the wall, and she jumped it great!
I haven't seen that kind of style in a long time.... and I own it! hehe!!

ETA - I knew there was a reason I named her "My Style"!

.A.j. 08-06-2008 08:27 PM

It must be a wonderful feeling to see her enjoying it so much, and doing so well! Still thinking of selling? :?
She sounds like such an incredible young lady! Good luck with her, whether you sell her or keep that talent for yourself. :D

I'd love to see some jumping photos if you have your camera handy next time!

PoptartShop 08-06-2008 09:22 PM

Nice! :D I'd love to see some pictures of her...I'm sure she jumps very nicely! That's awesome...she's like the whole package, LOL! :lol:

My2Geldings 08-07-2008 01:51 AM

You have a reason right there to keep her. You've done so much work with her, it would be a shame to let that go.

JustDressageIt 08-07-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings
You have a reason right there to keep her. You've done so much work with her, it would be a shame to let that go.

I'm so SO torn about it... she has a TON of potential....

My2Geldings 08-07-2008 02:03 PM

That's the problem I had with Calypso just a few weeks ago and ended up deciding to keep her and it was the best decision I could have made.You have to look at what you want to do ultimately. Not sure that she will be able to take you to where you want to go, where as this foal might, not only that but you shouldn't have issues selling him for a decent amount if you decide to do so a few years down the road.
If what you want to do is enjoy riding and compete in the odd show here and there, I would say to keep her. The foal might only be a good investment if you plan on making it a bit bigger into showing.

Then again it's hard to way how far he would be able to take you, but likely further along than your current mare.

If it were me I would go on the side of the foal just because of what might be there.

JustDressageIt 08-08-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2Geldings
That's the problem I had with Calypso just a few weeks ago and ended up deciding to keep her and it was the best decision I could have made.You have to look at what you want to do ultimately. Not sure that she will be able to take you to where you want to go, where as this foal might, not only that but you shouldn't have issues selling him for a decent amount if you decide to do so a few years down the road.
If what you want to do is enjoy riding and compete in the odd show here and there, I would say to keep her. The foal might only be a good investment if you plan on making it a bit bigger into showing.

Then again it's hard to way how far he would be able to take you, but likely further along than your current mare.

If it were me I would go on the side of the foal just because of what might be there.

Gaahhhhh I don't know!!!

Jubilee Rose 08-08-2008 11:33 PM

Aww, JDI thats awesome!!! :D

JustDressageIt 08-11-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilee Rose
Aww, JDI thats awesome!!! :D

Thanks! I can't wait to start her over fences under saddle!

AKPaintLover 08-15-2008 05:26 AM

That is awesome JDI. Also, I am in the camp for keeping her at least until you can see how far you can take her. :) Sounds like she will be a fun jumper.