The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What kind of a bit is this???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-kind-bit-128791/)

Calming Melody 06-27-2012 11:20 PM

What kind of a bit is this????

1 Attachment(s)
Ok my Scooter hates this bit and I am going to have to get him another one but my Cash can use it ....what kind of a bit is it , and what should I try and switch to ? Oh and I think it is missing a piece ....the chin strap??

tinyliny 06-27-2012 11:38 PM

looks like some kind of gaited horse bit. the round pieces at the end of the mouthpiece are meant to apply pressure on the side of the mouth, I suppose. the hooks are for a curb chain. it looks like a moderately severe bit, in the wrong hands.

noddy 06-27-2012 11:51 PM

Well, in NZ I'd call that an american gag. Strange, I know.. but most sliding gags I'd call that. Anywho, looks like the side rings are to limit the amount of sliding the mouthpiece does. When it's on a horse, the rings would lie against the mouth, not sticking into the horse (and if they are, there's something wrong because your reins shouldn't be twisting the bit like that). And it should have a curb chain on those two small hooks.

Calming Melody 06-27-2012 11:53 PM

Hmmmm.......I wonder why Scooter doesn't like it but my other horse does...I don't want them to have a severe bit ...I am going to have to look into this so I can pick a better bit

Skyseternalangel 06-27-2012 11:59 PM

Does he neck rein well or more direct rein? (Both horses)

Calming Melody 06-28-2012 12:03 AM

They don't neck rein, it's more of I got to pull on the rein for which side I want to go

blue eyed pony 06-28-2012 12:10 AM

CM, then they should be in a snaffle. Curbs are for horses that do neck rein.

I like snaffles with fixed cheeks and a 3-piece mouth - I ride English, but it's a similar premise. A snaffle is for training, a curb (double bridle in the English world) is for refinement.