The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiff rear tendon HELP!

956 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Jewelsb 
#1 ·
So my new mare has a stiff right rear tendon. The lady who looked at it today says she thinks it is an old injury. I have the vet coming Friday. What does it mean of she does have this as an old injury? It's swollen now with a cut on the fetlock but the cut isn't painful and she's walking fine on it. What do I do!?!?!
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
not saying your horse has what mine did 2 weeks ago! but my geldings front leg swelled up three times as big and the third day it was sore and he couldnt walk on it, and puss was coming out above the back of his hoof and vet came out and said it was a hoof absess and the puss and stuff went up his leg.. looking for a way out.. now hes walking, trotting and cantering on it, but he has a large cut on the back and looks like i could peel his hoof off.. but yours could have something else but i first thought one thing and it turned to be a different thing... sorry if i didnt help..

#3 ·
Do you know which tendon is affected? Are there any ultrasound results to show this?
If a tendon is in fact involved, you can gradually condition the horse to develop more flexibility in his soft tissue, including the problematic tendon.
A tendon that is contracted or tight, needs to be treated carefully - make sure you warm the horse up thoroughly before any work - LOTS of walking, then gentle trot work etc. It may also help to invest in a pair of magnetic boots to help increase blood flow to the tendon.
Fitness MUST be increased very gently. No going out for a gallop or jumping if the horse hasn't been worked for 2 weeks.

I would be asking for previous vet records, and if the vet sees any unsoundness on that limb, I'd be getting an ultrasound to see exactly where the issue lies.

#4 ·
No ultrasounds were previously given. She was a broodmare/ pasture puff. That includes no shot records besides the shots my vet gave her upon arrival. Really I'd rather have a abcess than an issue with her tendon because I've dealt with those before.
The lady thinks it is the outer tendon on her right hind that runs down between her knee and ankle. It's completely hard.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.