The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Buying another horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/buying-another-horse-128796/)

Tayz 06-28-2012 01:29 AM

Buying another horse

So the trainer has told us unfortunely Muss doesnt seem to be the right horse for me. He thinks he's just a little too strong headed and since im not strong with him that its probably best to buy something less...horse for me.
So I've been looking under rocks and everywhere and anywhere at horses for sale but I'm being extremely picky about this horse.
So far I found one horse for sale that i like the sound of but i dont think it'll work as its only 6.
quater horse gelding | Horses & Ponies | Gumtree Australia Southern Downs - Warwick
Hello he wold make a good alrounder he is quiet good around dogs and cars would suit a intermediate rider has done a bit of mustering and cattle work please feel free to ring me on xxx.xxx.xxx.xx hope this helps

but its a 15hh and a quarter horse which is what i like about it, i dont know something about the picture just grabs my attention i keep looking at it. But once again dont think it would be suited.
I've decided from where I live the best thing for me to do is cross out getting another thoroughbred and go for either a quarter horse, australian stock horse or something else possibly like an appy(they are pretty uncommon for sale atm)
But anyway, ive rang a few people about ads with most of them coming back to me and saying it would be too much a horse for me, which is good, i love personal opinions but its makin it a little harder.
Everything that sounds decent is 5000 plus which i dont think i can afford atm.
I found one horse that sounded great looked great, had done quite a bit and had planned to go see him and he sold the day his add went up a few hours after I rang :/ But anyways just wasnt to be.
Has anyone else found looking for the perfect horse is so hard!? ive found a nice paint horse x quarter horse for sale, but its 6500 negotioable which really was dissapointing as its the closest horse and sounds really good.
ugh, so annoying. how about everyone else? how long did it take you to find the perfect or a suitable horse? did it annoy you?
i'd love to hear some stories about how you found your horse! :D

waresbear 06-28-2012 01:33 AM

You would think when someone posts an ad, they would at least spell the name of the breed correctly. What is a quater horse?

Skyseternalangel 06-28-2012 01:36 AM

Tayz, your trainer doesn't have any good horses that he could trade Muss with you for? Just curious since from what he was telling you, they get along great.

BarrelWannabe 06-28-2012 01:38 AM

Time and patience! Luck will come to you if you save and are prepared for the right opportunity.

You'll find a horse is due time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tayz 06-28-2012 02:28 AM

The trainer has one horse he mentioned that might suit me. only problem once again he wants 5000 for it. though he thinks it could possibly work since apparently this horse needs barely any work at all doenst get fresh and you can just jump on her and he jumps on her the day before a competition and she does fine. shes a western solid paint mare. I met her and shes perfect size, has a foal at foot atm that is soooo delicious looking ^^( chestnut blaze, 4 stockings) but id have to actually spend time with her to know coz from what i saw she was very friendly but rather grumpy.

Tayz 06-28-2012 02:28 AM

not sure what a quater horse is but hey, i'm all for different, rare breeds :P LOL

Paradise 06-28-2012 10:36 AM

Yeah it's hard. In the past, I've always found that the horses I end up buying come along when I least expect it, and it seems often when I've given up hope altogether :lol:. I've looked at tons of horses online, but I've never ended up buying one because they always come along other ways.

Keep looking online, but get the word out with your trainer and other professionals what you're looking for and maybe they'll keep an eye out for you.

Cacowgirl 06-28-2012 01:18 PM

If a horse sounds good it's better to have look quickly, instead of waiting for someone else to buy it first. If it's a good match some owners want their horse to have a good home over getting their full price. Just a thought.

Copperhead 06-28-2012 03:07 PM

Are you looking for an already trained horses that is ready to jump into the ring the second you get it? If so, you'll have to fork out a decent amount to get that solid, level headed, talented, seasoned show horse. They don't come cheap.

However, getting a level headed, talented horse who has less training but is quiet to build on and grow with you as a rider and competitor will come a bit cheaper. Does your trainer just train you on trained horses, or can he train you on a less experienced horse where both you and the horse are learning at the same time?

Most of the horses I've ridden in lessons were not trained to do what I wanted. We learned together with good instruction.

You might find it easier if you narrowed you search down to your price range first and then see what pops up. If you can work with an animal that is cheaper but has some raw talent, and are willing to take the time to teach it the game you want, you might have found your golden horse.

It seems that personality needs to come first in your situation. There are plenty of cheaper horses out there with level heads who can show as well, just no one has taught them that yet.

Tayz 06-28-2012 11:49 PM

copper- i am looking towards my budget, sometimes i just take a look at the nice 5000 dollars once as everyone does.
But i do like the first one, hes in my budget. only thing hes further away then id like but we'll see what happens.
My trainer atm is just training my horse he goes off mining for months at a time so no hes not a permanent trainer. the two trainers i was gonna use one hurt his shoulder and is out for 12 weeks, the others gone away for 6 weeks so until then I only have this trainer. He's offered me riding lessons and when it goes sunny i will take him up on it as I miss having an instructor but apart from that for another 3 weeks i wont have one.
Nah wont be showing for a while.
caco- I know! I didnt find my first horse on the internet either lol. ive spread around the tack shops that im looking for a quiet horse thats broken in well. Honestly i want something that'll be an allrounder where i can try a bit of everything on. Id rather a gelding and all it has to have had is to be well broke, calm safe level headed, no spooking bolting and preferably something 14.3-15.2.
When I find a suitable horse will be buying a horse float to take it to pony club where there are really good instructors, best in this little town.