The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Wood chewing, help. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/wood-chewing-help-128799/)

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 06-28-2012 12:41 AM

Wood chewing, help.

Hey guys,

Curly & Nikki (my mums horse) have a habit of chewing pine posts.

We just built a new arean 60X20 and it is made of pine posts, when we tie them to saddle them or let them loose in there they just chew on it, not crib but chew.

We have tried giving a smack/saying no and they stop and a few seconds later resume. This goes on and on.

They have a salt lick, they get hard feed and lucerne hay, grass and lucerne mix hay and some straw as well as supplements.

Any ideas on what we can do to stop them doing this?
Its not really and option to never tie them up or let them loose in the arena.

They have a post in their paddock that they have eaten half of also.

We need some answers!

Thankyou :-)

HarleyWood 06-28-2012 12:49 AM

cribbing callor? i used one on my moms gelding, no clue why he was chewing/cribbing on things but a few days with it on and hes much better! he cribbed on plastic, metal, buckets, feeders anything he could and chewed on wood! we also got a chew stopper spray have yet to test it waiting for stalls..

Kayty 06-28-2012 12:55 AM

Spray your rails with chili spray (handy to know a cop who can supply some capsicum spray for this worthy cause :P) or Cribox.

Pine is often treated with toxic chemical to prevent it from rotting - this is REALLY bad for a horse. I would be trying to prevent this chewing behaviour at all costs.

Oldhorselady 06-28-2012 12:57 AM

If your horse is being a beaver and not cribbing it could be a lack of something in his diet...or he is just bored. My OTTB was very playful and I swear had ADHD. He loved toys and had to have them or he would chew wood. He could go through a post like a beaver over night. On his shelter we also put metal drywall bead on edges.

SilverSpur 06-28-2012 01:08 AM

good ole sump oil does the trick.

Oldhorselady 06-28-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpur (Post 1570234)
good ole sump oil does the trick.

What is sump oil?

SilverSpur 06-28-2012 01:59 AM

it's used motor oil. the blacker the better. doesnt make the wood look yuck at all, just darkens it a little bit.

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 06-28-2012 03:11 AM

Wow thanks for the answers!

No definitely not cribbing! Not sure about boredom cause they chew on it while being groomed but i suppose that actually could be boring!

Yes, we definitly want this behaviour to stop
We tried a chilli past & hot english mustard today,
They enjoyed licking it of the posts :/ not the idea!

Dad is asking about oil tonight to try and if that fails cribox here we come

Cherie 06-28-2012 07:17 AM

They are lacking one or more of the 'macro-minerals' -- not 'trace minerals'.

The macro-minerals that are usually involved are Calcium, Phosphorus and Magnesium. Calcium is most often the main one missing if you are feeding a predominantly grass or grass hay diet. Magnesium is frequently needed as well; without it, the Calcium cannot be utilized by the body. Eating wood, tree bark, eating or licking dirt and eating manes and tails are the most frequent symptoms of it.

If you want to save your wood posts, cut cottonwood , poplar or willow branches and make them available. Horses will gobble them like candy. Supplying a good 'loose' mineral that has 4 or 5 times as much Calcium in it as Phosphorus and is only about 25% salt will stop almost all wood and dirt chewers. Our mineral is 25% Ca; 6% P; 2% Mag; 25% salt plus trace minerals. It stops all 'pica' - what eating non-food things is called.

Oldhorselady 06-28-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1570419)
They are lacking one or more of the 'macro-minerals' -- not 'trace minerals'.

The macro-minerals that are usually involved are Calcium, Phosphorus and Magnesium. Calcium is most often the main one missing if you are feeding a predominantly grass or grass hay diet. Magnesium is frequently needed as well; without it, the Calcium cannot be utilized by the body. Eating wood, tree bark, eating or licking dirt and eating manes and tails are the most frequent symptoms of it.

If you want to save your wood posts, cut cottonwood , poplar or willow branches and make them available. Horses will gobble them like candy. Supplying a good 'loose' mineral that has 4 or 5 times as much Calcium in it as Phosphorus and is only about 25% salt will stop almost all wood and dirt chewers. Our mineral is 25% Ca; 6% P; 2% Mag; 25% salt plus trace minerals. It stops all 'pica' - what eating non-food things is called.

Is there a product to feed so they get their requirements without feeding grain?