The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Natural Horsemanship that doesnt require me to sell my house to fund it (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/natural-horsemanship-doesnt-require-me-sell-128838/)

Fellpony 06-28-2012 12:02 PM

Natural Horsemanship that doesnt require me to sell my house to fund it

I am wanting to train my horses with my partner naturally but everything I find requires you to buy certain headcollars, crops, saddles, DVDs etc. I have rope halter of ebay for 10 use a lunge line etc. I just started my 3 year old in a Nurtural Bitless bridle for long reining. I would love to learn more but I need to be quite wealthy to buy and join all these websites :( Unfortunately keeping my ponies uses quite a bit of my availible income.

I got started on my natural journey when I bought a wild unhandled welsh sec D foal. I bought and read a book by an English lady called Sarah Weston....No Fear, No Force its about how to handle feral foals using pressure and release. The book really opened my eyes to a kinder way of working with horse and wetted my appetite but I always hit a dead end due to costs :(

My wild foal is now a beautiful 3 year old Gelding who is respectful but I would love to do more with him. Any Ideas where I can get information on Natural horsemanship for me and my partner to learn with our ponies.

I am on a farm with my ponies and no one else in the area seems to use Natural Horsemanship :( how do I go about extending my knowledge.

Joe4d 06-28-2012 12:15 PM

all you need is a rope halter you can tie yourself from some hardware store 6 to 8mm rope, about 6 meters of 25mm rope for a lunge line, some work gloves , a bit of open room, and some imagination. that is all you NEED, everything else is fluff.

Carrot stick ? old fishing rod and a piece of plastic trashbag,

I have found a couple training DVD's to be very helpful but not buying or subscribing to entire series. I liked Julie Goodnights lead line leadership, as a beginning ground work helper.

tinyliny 06-28-2012 12:34 PM

of the equipment, any rope halter will do. I prefer , for lunging, to have a pretty heavy line, just becuase for closer work it transfers "feel" downt he line better than the traditional lunge line made of flat webbed cotton, but having one of them, too, would be good.
If there is a good trainer in your vicinity that is thoughtful, consistent and practical, but doesnt' call themselves "natural horsemanship" , you might still find them to be an excellent trainer. The horse does not know the difference.

however , if you want to do this yourself, you might have to lay out a bit of money to get a book or video and then have a go at it. I doubt training is ever without a financial investment of some kind.

spookychick13 06-28-2012 12:56 PM

I found this kind of recently, it's a good way to check out DVDs without committing to buy. It's like netflix for horse training dvds.
GiddyUpFlix.com: Horse DVD Rentals | Horse Training Dvd | Horse Dvds | Rent Horse Videos

Corporal 06-28-2012 12:59 PM

MY advice is to research...GULP...books. O M GOSH!! Seriously, there are a great many authors who fit the label NH and have published. If the book isn't recently published, you can get used copies on Amazon. It is a WHOLE lot cheaper, but the advice is just as good. =D

Fellpony 06-28-2012 01:17 PM

My OH built us a round pen, we have read Mark Raschid, Monty Roberts, Kelly Marks, Sarah Weston.

I really want to learn more. I am thinking of getting a localish trainer to come to the farm once a month to work with my partner and me with the youngsters. Trainer is respected locally and has been to the USA to train with Monty Roberts and also works at a equine rescue centre in my county and has been reccomended by a friend.

So thanks for the reccomendations :D keep them comming:D

tinyliny 06-28-2012 01:53 PM

nothing can replace working with a real human. no book or video can really impart "feel" , so this trainer sounds like a great choice. Think of it as an investment longterm. once you have learned it, you won't have to pay again.

gypsygirl 06-28-2012 02:28 PM

i think the trainer is a good idea ! as for dvds and such. clinton andersons no worries club is great. you get access to tons of videos, forum, and you get mailed journals. i think its only $20/month. my roommate is a member !

walkinthewalk 07-04-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellpony (Post 1570795)
I am wanting to train my horses with my partner naturally but everything I find requires you to buy certain headcollars, crops, saddles, DVDs etc. I have rope halter of ebay for 10 use a lunge line etc. I just started my 3 year old in a Nurtural Bitless bridle for long reining. I would love to learn more but I need to be quite wealthy to buy and join all these websites :( Unfortunately keeping my ponies uses quite a bit of my availible income.

I got started on my natural journey when I bought a wild unhandled welsh sec D foal. I bought and read a book by an English lady called Sarah Weston....No Fear, No Force its about how to handle feral foals using pressure and release. The book really opened my eyes to a kinder way of working with horse and wetted my appetite but I always hit a dead end due to costs :(

My wild foal is now a beautiful 3 year old Gelding who is respectful but I would love to do more with him. Any Ideas where I can get information on Natural horsemanship for me and my partner to learn with our ponies.

I am on a farm with my ponies and no one else in the area seems to use Natural Horsemanship :( how do I go about extending my knowledge.

This NH thing has gotten pretty far out of control in that it's all about Marketing and Making Money these days:-(

While there are some really great tips to seize, as Joe pointed out, an old fishing rod with a sack attached will work, even a green & sinewy young branch off a tree will work.

I started breaking horses to ride and drive when I was 12 ----- I was 12 back in 1959. On a farm in NE Ohio where there was no such thing as a round pen.

Under the direction of my granddad, us kids used the mare to help us teach the young ones to lead. We played with the foals, weanlings, ect. every single day under his direction, not realizing we were already training them and granddad was training us:-)

When the horses got old enough to ride we used plowed fields, disked fields, the ditch along the mile long tractor lane, the tractor lane, the cut hayfield to teach figure 8's. We got creative in a hundred different ways.

My grandad was highly revered in our area as a horseman, he gave us a valuable foundation on how to gentle a horse and ask it to do what we wanted and we didn't have any of the fancy tools available to us that even trainers in those days had.

We were farm kids on hard working farms, we had to learn to make do with whatever was available that wouldn't get us or the horse killed - lol lol

He had a waiting list every year for his horses. $300 - $400 for a grade horse was a lot of money in our rural area back in the early 60's.

I didn't know it then but I was privileged to grow up under the care and guidance of a genuine natural horseman who was a generation ahead of the Dorrance Brothers. With all due respect, the modern day NH trainers "got nuthin" on my granddad and that was something I took for granted until I was much much older.

You don't need a bunch of fancy stuff, you don't need a round pen if one isn't available. We didn't have a bit of problem teaching our horses to take a lead just by using the fence line in the 3 acre pasture the stallion was turned out in (while the mares and geldings were on the other side of the fence in the 40 acre pasture).

I agree with whomever commented on Mark Rashid. I have most of his books; I have most of his books because HE, out of everyone, most closely resembles the philosophy of my granddad.

Like all good children, there will be times the horse needs disciplined - let the punishment fit the crime and keep it short. If you can find a herd of horses to study, set a lawn chair by the fence for a few hourse and study their herd hierarchy and how/when discipline is handed out. It is a jaw-dropping wonderful learning experience:-)

In the human world, some kids are straight A students and barely open a book, others have to struggle just to maintain passing grades. Horses, also like people, progress at different rates, so the horse's ability to learn needs to be taken into consideration.

Once a horse "gets" something or even showed an inclination toward understanding what we were asking, we always stopped the session right there - on a positive note, with us being the "winner", for lack of a better word.

Even if you haven't met YOUR goal, if the horse is making an honest effort, you have met the goal the horse is capable of for that moment. Stop right there, give lots of praise, put the horse back to pasture.

The next time, go thru the previous lesson with the horse, then add one more thing. Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps:D

There's not a whole lot of training information in this post, but hopefully you can get the general sense of what I am trying to say and that is you don't need to spend money you don't have. Get creative with your training tools:-)

Good luck in your endeavors:-)

SassaSavvy 07-04-2012 02:38 PM

Parelli has an absolutely free 30 day membership to Parelli Connect (www.parelliconnect.com) where they have level 1 available to watch for free (even as a trial member). After the first month it's $10 (not sure what that is where you are). If you don't like what you get you can cancel it before the 30 days are up. It is kind of like a Facebook for horse people, but your horses have pages as well where there are tasks you can check off as you go through them. At least check it out and see if you want to try it. There is also every old magazine they have had on there with lots of training articles. If nothing else you can read a bunch for a month, then delete it and continue with what you learned or move it into another program.

Obviously I do Parelli (Level 4 student), but there are so many programs out there that have really great info, you can look into a ton of stuff!