The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   a little upset about foundered pony...*rant* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/little-upset-about-foundered-pony-%2Arant%2A-128870/)

katbalu 06-28-2012 05:32 PM

a little upset about foundered pony...*rant*

First off, I understand that I cannot grasp every situation and circumstance. I have not walked a mile in anyones shoes except my own.
That being said, I'm upset about what I saw today.

I'm new to the equine world; i've only had my horse for 11 months. What I saw today, i'm sure most of you have seen over and over again. I rode with a farrier to help him out today. Our last stop was a man who had a new horse he needed shoes on. He also had a pony. The farrier said he hadn't been there in about a year. I asked if the man had been using another farrier, and the farrier replied that he had not. I asked if the man did his own trims, and just needed farrier to put shoes on new horse, and farrier replied that the man did not do his own trims.

When we got to the house, a very nice house I may add, the two animals were in the small pasture connected to the barn. We were to catch the horse and pony ourselves. The horse did not want to be caught, farrier tried for a minute, then stopped. So we turned to the pony, who was limping. As I took a closer look, I saw the very neglected feet that this pony was having to deal with. He was also foundered. While the farrier trimmed him, the woman from the house came out and caught the other horse, and we got him in cross ties.

We left the pony tied while we trimmed the horse. It was in obvious pain, leaning on his front legs, then rocking back. His legs were quivering. The farrier had seen this pony before, a year prior. I asked if this was a new condition for the pony. He said no, they had let it founder for a couple of summers.

I untied the pony, and let it go. He slowly walked about ten feet, and layed down.

I dont know tons about horses, and all of the circumstances that can encompass them. But I am upset by this.

It would cost approximately $140 per year to give this pony adequate hoof care. 12 trims. They had a very nice house, and very nice cars, etc. Hoof care...$140 per year. They also had places to put this horse so that founder could have been prevented.

Sure, its not my business. I'm not saying it is, but what I am saying is that it made me angry. When you take an animal into your care, it needs to be taken care of, or it needs to be given to someone who will take care of it. This pony had no choice.. He sure as hell cant trim his own hoofs in the pasture, and because his owners decided to neglect him, he has to be in pain. How unfair is that.

I just wanted to let this out, simply because I am upset.

Hedgie 06-28-2012 07:53 PM

Aww I'm so sorry you had to see that. It makes my heart hurt, because today I had an entirely different experience with foundering. A new farrier came out to help us put a shoe back on after he threw it on Tuesday and our normal farrier is out of town. Anyway, he said that it appears that Enzo (my OTTB gelding) had foundered at some point in his life - but not recently. It hurts my heart to know this because he was on the track from 2006 to 2011 but never had more than a couple months between each race. That would mean he was most likely running while he was in pain, right? I need to figure out what I'm going to do (proactively) to prevent any further troubles.

Anyway, that's such a horrible situation you witnessed, but unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can do about it. People are quite stupid sometimes, aren't they?

katbalu 06-28-2012 07:58 PM

I'm glad I'm learning more. I understand stuff like that happens. It just struck a nerve because it was infront of me hurting right then. I kinda regret posting this, even though It felt good to vent. Now I have to keep thinking about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 06-28-2012 08:55 PM

That is very upsetting.. :( The poor darling..

smrobs 06-28-2012 09:06 PM

Sometimes people just suck. There is no better explanation.

Spirit Lifter 06-28-2012 09:20 PM

That is terrible. Multiply that by the tens of thousands of other horses who are neglected each year. It makes me sick.:cry:

bigbayboy 06-28-2012 09:31 PM

Some people should just not own animals. I just have to believe there is a "special" place for these people when they die. Sorry if that sounds awful but I believe in karma :)

loosie 06-29-2012 12:16 AM

IMO that man should definitely be reported! Sure, it's not your business & sure, I do personally understand that the farrier may be reticent about doing anything because of his business, but the trouble is, if you & the farrier do nothing, you're essentially contributing to this pony's ongoing suffering.

waresbear 06-29-2012 12:50 AM

I was asking my farrier if he attends to cases where owners neglect their horses' hooves & finally call him out. He said yes, some are very sad cases. I asked him if he says anything to them, he said no, because if he lectured them, they probably wouldn't bother to call him back out next year. Sad, just sad. Doesn't just happen with horses OP, people neglect their dogs, cats, children, you name it. Sometimes out of ignorance, sometimes out of laziness, selfishness, whatever reason, outcome is still the same.

tinyliny 06-29-2012 02:11 AM

what a good farrier that is!