The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   troubles haltering a horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/troubles-haltering-horse-128874/)

armyman 06-28-2012 05:52 PM

troubles haltering a horse

hello
i am trying to halter a horse that has not had one on in atleast 3 years. he lets me get close to him, pet him, brush him, he will even lick my hand but as soon as a halter of any kind is near him he gets bothered and only lets me get so close. he sniffs it all day long when i hang it in the barn by the water, this does not bother him but as soon as it is in my hand he does not like it. i am at a lost of what to do to get it on him. he is an 8 year old gelding he is the horse is my avatar pic

Foxhunter 06-28-2012 06:01 PM

get a halter that undoes around the nose. Get him use to you flipping the rope over his neck and then do the same with the halter.
Get the halter done up whilst it is around his neck and then do the noseband up.

armyman 06-28-2012 06:16 PM

he is more comfortable with a rope halter then any other type

palominolover 06-28-2012 07:43 PM

Your best bet is to keep desensitizing him to it. just incorporate "visits" with the halter every time you work with him. Praise every little thing that he responds positively to. Try rubbing it all over his body and see how he reacts, keep your sessions to one main section of his body, start on his back, then go down to his legs etc.. Spend a lot of time around his neck with the halter. Rub, praise, rub, praise etc... Eventually try it on his head, just rub don't tie it up. Eventually work by bringing it up on his nose again don't tie it just leave it there until he is fully relaxed. Eventually tie it loosely and proceed to tying it tight. If he reacts spookily to anywhere on his body repeat that same spot until he's relaxed.

armyman 06-29-2012 12:17 AM

thanks for the help i will work with him trying that.

HarleyWood 06-29-2012 12:37 AM

if you used a lead rope would he freak? i use a lead rope when my boys think its fun to run away and i will put the lead around their neck and two of the three once it is around their necks even if i dont have the other end will stop and ill use it like a rope halter by snaping the end to the lead to make the behind the ear and loop it around their nose and back through the bottom. and lead them that way.. or if you could ball a rope halter in your hand and rub it on him and after some time open it up a little and a little more then try to slip it on..?