The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Thoughts On Using A Hoof Knife? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/thoughts-using-hoof-knife-128898/)

CrazyPaintLady 06-28-2012 10:12 PM

Thoughts On Using A Hoof Knife?

I wasn`t sure if I should`ve put this in "Horse Health"??
Anywhooo,
I was just thinking about my horse`s frog (weird, right?) and I have noticed it has a bunch of dead tissue and I wanted your opinions on using a hoof knife at home?Or would you wait for the farrier to do it?
Thoughts?
Here`s a video to give you an idea of what a hoof knife does :)

smrobs 06-28-2012 10:33 PM

Personally, I would wait for the farrier to do it. Sometimes if there is an especially long piece that is in the way, I'll try to pull it off by hand, but the one time I used a hoof knife, I managed to cut off too much frog....and then managed to cut myself :oops::lol:.

CrazyPaintLady 06-28-2012 10:56 PM

I would too! Its just that her frog grew a bit too much to the left and there`s possibilities for thrush:/ Im just worried that if I mess with her feet I`ll make her lame...I should wait...:/

waresbear 06-28-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1571609)
Personally, I would wait for the farrier to do it. Sometimes if there is an especially long piece that is in the way, I'll try to pull it off by hand, but the one time I used a hoof knife, I managed to cut off too much frog....and then managed to cut myself :oops::lol:.

When I used to trim hooves, I always rasped my knuckles. I got fired as a hand model because of that! :rofl::offtopic:<<<I know, I know!

Nitefeatherz 06-29-2012 01:57 AM

If you aren't sure I would wait for the farrier to do it. Better safe than sorry.

AlexS 06-29-2012 02:04 AM

I wouldn't mess with it if you don't know what you are doing. You could always call your farrier to come out sooner.