The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Love Bites (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/love-bites-12890/)

Moxie 08-06-2008 11:19 PM

Love Bites

Do horses actually give love bites?

Fritz bit me on Monday as I was grooming him. It wasn't a MEAN bite, as his ears weren't laid back, and he wasn't acting crazy or anything, and it wasn't like he was actually going for meat. It was just a lil nip.

I told my instructor that he bit me, and she said that it was probably just a little love bite. I didn't think horses actually did something like that?

Can anyone weigh in on this subject?

Solon 08-07-2008 11:45 AM

When horses are grooming each other they can get really into it and get their teeth going. My horse will nibble me with his lips but never teeth. That'd be a bad thing. I wouldn't call that love!

rums_mom 08-07-2008 05:41 PM

Nibbles = good
Bites = bad

Especially a bite from Solon! You could lose an arm!

Moxie 08-07-2008 06:47 PM

ah yea, thats what I thought, I wasn't overly impressed.

Small_Town_Girl 08-07-2008 09:45 PM

Our stallion flirts with me, he doesn't do it to anyone else.
he's not really biting or trying to cause me hurt, just his way
or flirting I suppose.. :P

Moxie 08-07-2008 10:45 PM

Well it wasn't like it was hurtful. It's not like he took a mouthful of my arm, it was just a lil nibble. I DO have a bruise tho. lol

Gillian 08-07-2008 11:22 PM

I understand that it wasn't meant to be hurtful or anything but I would strongly discourage him from doing it again, and if he does maybe give him a bump on the nose or something. Harmless stuff like that can lead to actual biting over time.

:]

Moxie 08-08-2008 12:51 AM

I did bump him on the nose and used a firm NO! He was being very sassy that day. I have requested a different horse for my next lesson. Hopefully that'll take care of some of the apprehensiveness I am feeling.

Gillian 08-08-2008 01:18 AM

Glad to hear it. Some people let horses get away with too much in my opinion. Yes, you can be your horse's friend, but he/she also has to respect you. (you in the general sense)

I'm pretty sure that it was just out of affection, or just a playful nibble so I wouldn't be too put off by it just be more aware of him.

:D

Solon 08-08-2008 08:37 AM

I'd say shame on your instructor for thinking any kind of teeth bite that leaves a bruise is acceptable!