The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Workout Motivators! (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/workout-motivators-128923/)

Icrazyaboutu 06-29-2012 01:03 AM

Workout Motivators!

I need one! And I can't be the only person that does.
I really want to start working out, not to lose weight but to gain muscle, but everytime I start, I tend to stop soon after. And I mean like, the next day. So, anyone wanna help me? I'll help back!

waresbear 06-29-2012 01:21 AM

My motivator is seeing the muscles when I flex after a work out. You're right though, can be hard when you are first starting out, and before the endorphins kick in and you crave the burn. Gotta push yourself to get over that hump, suck it up buttercup! Listening to AC/DC helps.

Icrazyaboutu 06-29-2012 01:30 AM

Yea I'm just chalk full of excuses! Maybe music will help. Thanks for the advice!

BarrelracingArabian 06-29-2012 01:40 AM

Im the same way ill do it for like a week then i just put it off haha but realized today ive lost my flexibility and thats my new motivator to start exercising more lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Icrazyaboutu 06-29-2012 03:39 AM

Yea, I was pretty sure that I wasn't the only one with this problem.. It's just SO hard!

Paintlover1965 06-29-2012 03:53 AM

I know what you mean. It's easier to give up than to keep with an exercise regime especially when the results are not immediate. I bought a dvd set recently and am now nearing the end of the first month of a 2 month program and I am still doing it! I am proud of my progress and I have a goal in sight. It helps that I know it lasts for 2 months and I can really see the difference in my body and the strength and stamina I have developed which can only improve my riding. If I expect my horse to be an athlete then I should pay him the same courtesy by getting into better shape too!

Icrazyaboutu 06-29-2012 04:29 AM

That's a good way to look at!

Skyseternalangel 06-29-2012 04:39 AM

With you on that. Good music helps, also changing your workout time and schedule. If you do it at the same time or every day, for me at least it gets boring. I like to do some days workout in the morning, shower or evening, shower. I never let it get in the middle of my day though.

Also making yourself a shake before or after you work out definitely gets me in the 'workout' mood. So is having designated workout outfits. I know it sounds really girly and stupid but honestly I work best that way.

Icrazyaboutu 06-29-2012 04:48 AM

So, like a reward for working out? I can do that.. Haha! You say to switch it up, but aren't routines supposed to have some sort of regularity to them? I read somewhere that if you do something for two weeks straight, it becomes a habit. So, in theory, I should be able to force myself to workout for two weeks straight and then not have to force it anymore because it will be my nirm. Sounds legit.

Skyseternalangel 06-29-2012 04:57 AM

Yes and no. It will be a habit, but for me if I do the same thing always.. I get very bored of it.

What I like to do is rotate my workouts so they are different, and to change the times that I workout. But whatever works for you!