The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Practically Unsolvable (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/practically-unsolvable-128940/)

Sugarpony 06-29-2012 03:50 AM

Practically Unsolvable

Greetings and salutations,

A friend of mine is joining me in this year's Pony Club camp, but her horse is a different story. Teddy is a happy, healthy young cob, who had a slipped disc in his back, but went to an equine chiropractor and benefited wonderfully, and his back is now in full working condition. However, he has resorted back to chronic head-throwing, but my friend and her family seem intent on doing nothing about it. This behaviour does bother them, but they are, at the moment, quite tight for cash (The horses' money is on a seperate account, so they still always get food, shelter, water, etc.), and cannot afford expensive treatment. If this head-throwing doesn't stop by the end of PCC, she will loose plenty of marks in the silent dressage test.

Any bright ideas?

loosie 06-29-2012 05:08 AM

Wait till the horse breaks your friend's nose & then try to talk them into it again? Offer the money yourself to get him checked out??

DancingArabian 06-29-2012 08:06 AM

He might be in pain again so he's tossing his head. He should at least be checked for pain and not ridden if any is found.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 06-29-2012 09:37 AM

Chiropractic work isn't a 'one time fixes everything forever' type of deal. It's an ongoing treatment that needs to be done on a set schedule.

SlideStop 06-29-2012 12:01 PM

A friend of mine had a horse work shake his head excessively. She had a variety of tests and work done to find out the cause. I don't remember exactly what the syndrome was called but the UV light was irritating his eyes, causing him to flip his head. I think she said its like little dots flying around his eyes, kind of like when you look at the sun to long. Try getting him a UV proof fly mask. If it helps get a vet out to check out his eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device