The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   barbed wire.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/barbed-wire-128958/)

barrelbeginner 06-29-2012 09:59 AM

barbed wire..

OKay so im not sure if this can go here but my horses our out on pasture that's fenced with barbed wire. There isn't much that i can change about that because we have cows so it has to be barbed, or they will go through it.. i even have a cow that still.. EVEN THOUGH ITS BARBED she jumps it.. crazy cow.. but i dislike barbed wire so much.. my horses have been scaarped up so much with barbed wire.. it sucks.. one time my horse cut all the way from his butt up to his neck.. it sucked.. so i know now that they are on pasture again., its not if they get cut its when.. so what do you guys reccomend that i have on hand all the time for cuts..

also what is your input about barbedwire and horses? any bad experieences yourself?:-(

OwnedByAlli 06-29-2012 10:06 AM

I've found Alli learnt pretty quick to stay clear of barbed wire fences. She still comes in with a few scrapes every now and again, but nothing too serious, not since she put a hole in her side last spring. I clean them with hibi-scrub (antibacterial) and put some purple spray on it (again, antibacterial). I once borrowed some sticky yellow/orange stuff off a farmer for a mare who took a chunk of hair off her forehead. I can't remember the name, but the gel basically kept the wound clean and moist (it was going very dry) so the area could heal without scaring.

gigem88 06-29-2012 10:20 AM

I'm in the same boat! Cows....ugh. I had one get out and decided she much rather come back home and I'm the one that got scratched trying to get her back in! The horses have been respectful and no major incidents with cuts. I only have the perimeter in barbed wire, the cross fence is electric tape.

Cowgirls Boots 06-29-2012 10:30 AM

We have barb currently where my horse is and he is on 60 acres. Although I haven't had anything BAD happen besides two little gashes I am moving them this Tuesday before he gets seriously hurt. I have too much invested in him to end up an ornament. Stay away from that stuff. I only move to this place because I was 'promised it would be down asap' yeah, bs!
Posted via Mobile Device

OwnedByAlli 06-29-2012 10:31 AM

I'm slowly developing a distaste in cows too... Especially beasts... They're either so boisterous they're dangerous or so skittish they're dangerous! Once ended up jumping a 3ft high electric tape from 2 strides out avoiding a dumb beast trying to get the horses dinner... Glad THAT fence wasn't barbed X(

But usually good old hibi-scrub keeps everything ship shaped wound wise!

ETA: beast= cumbrian word for beef cow ;)

equiniphile 06-29-2012 10:40 AM

Can I make a suggestion?

What if you were to run a strand of hot tape about 6 feet in from the barbed wire? That way the horses won't get scratched from the barbs and the cows could run under it rather than through it. Space T-posts (4 or 6 ft tall should be sufficient) 6-10 feet apart and run thick white tape through the insulators. You'd have to figure out the right height where a cow could go under without damaging it but a horse wouldn't try to run under.

barrelbeginner 06-29-2012 10:40 AM

yeah i dont have a problem with mean bulls lol my bull is a doll.. he comes to you when you call his name and puts his head down if you say so and you can sractch him// just gotta watch out for his horns! crazy! and yeah when my horses were with the cows i was always worried at feeding time they would run the horses into the fence..

gigem88 06-29-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OwnedByAlli (Post 1572439)
I'm slowly developing a distaste in cows too... Especially beasts... They're either so boisterous they're dangerous or so skittish they're dangerous! Once ended up jumping a 3ft high electric tape from 2 strides out avoiding a dumb beast trying to get the horses dinner... Glad THAT fence wasn't barbed X(

But usually good old hibi-scrub keeps everything ship shaped wound wise!

ETA: beast= cumbrian word for beef cow ;)

They at least keep our property taxes low so I can have my ponies on acreage!

Skyseternalangel 06-29-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelbeginner (Post 1572456)
yeah i dont have a problem with mean bulls lol my bull is a doll.. he comes to you when you call his name and puts his head down if you say so and you can sractch him// just gotta watch out for his horns! crazy!

That's so interesting.. I've never thought to expect that from a cow as I have not heard of someone getting close to them.

As silly as that sounds

MHFoundation Quarters 06-29-2012 11:20 AM

I've slowly been replacing all of the barbed wire that was on the perimeter fence here. (we've got a bit over 40 acres in pasture). We don't have any cattle so I'm replacing it all with hot tape. There has been barb here for almost 50 years, in my 30some years I can only recall 2 hurting themselves.