Dewormer mishap question
So I had a little wormer mishap the other day…
Sometimes when my mom stops by I’ll have her give me a hand with something animal related. She has owned horses before, likes to love on my various farm critters, and likes to be needed.
I asked her to hold the horse while I dewormed him and the donkeys.
My horse has been very good for taking the various pastes, so after I deposited the ivermectin paste on the back of his tongue and held his head up for a minute, I let her the do the “Swallow… swallow...…wadda good widdle poneh woneh you are. Ummy good medicine, swallow it all up. Mmmm, now wasn’t that tasty?“ bit.
I told her to watch to be sure he didn’t spit any out while I tackled the donkeys. Well, she musta had a senior moment and paid no attention to that while she started grooming him. After I came back over from doing the donkeys there was some wormer on the ground. Both had the same look on their face too… “Gee, I have no idea how that got there.” :?
He had stepped in it and I really couldn’t judge how much it was.
In ruminants it is generally safe to repeat an ivermectin dose injection right away if there is a goof up since it isn’t being given orally and is a safe drug. However, I didn’t have another tube at the moment and I also paused to consider that the paste goes directly into the digestive system.
I did have a tube of Exodus (different class) but didn’t think that was right incase he did indeed get some of the ivermectin down.
So, my question is …. when the horse spits out ivermectin paste and you can‘t tell how much he did/didn’t get, how soon can another dose of ivermectin paste be given. Is it safe to repeat right away when it happens?
Or, should one give a full dose of another drug class, although that doesn’t seem the correct logic to me.
Just for reference, what about the other drug class dewormer pastes?
(Lockwood has been busy hauling seven hundred gallons of water from a nearby spring by hand as the lack of rain has nearly dried up her well. This is the first chance she had to sit down at the computer and ask this question without her head crashing down in exhaustion :oops:)
I believe ivermectin is OK to double dose immediately.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong :-P
(psst... Go Ducks! :-P )
I would probably wait a couple of days with my horse, just to be extra safe, but that really just means it gives me time to get to the store to get another tube...
It's okay to give another dose to adult horses (caution with foals and other equids) -- Read here.
This was a good question - I have 'spitters' and I've wondered this before, myself. Happy 2nd try, may you outwit the little stinkers! :-)
I don't know about Ivermectin, the Vet had me give my horse the correct dosage of Strongid followed by 1 1/2 times the normal dose a couple days later last year (he lost several hundred pounds for no apparent reason).
You could wait and call your Vet on Mon. for advice.... phone advice is free :wink: That's what I would do since it's not a problem that shouldn't be put off for a couple days.
I'd wait 30 days to be on the safe side.
I wouldn't be worried either redosing or not redosing at all. Unless your horse is really big most of us give more than needed, as in a whole tube, so dropping some may have had it exactly right.
Ivermectin has really high overdose levels so I doubt an extra dose now would hurt.
A friend was deworming her baby for the first time & the little stop ring was broken (she didn't know) & she ended up giving a full adult horse dose. The vet said he would be fine & he was.
We have a friend who has 2 full sister Saddlebreds. They look almost identical except one has 2 hind socks and the other doesn't. One time he untentionally gave both tubes of wormer to one of the mares. The mare suffered no ill effects from being double dosed.
One time my mare had a wart-like growth on her forehead and I was doctoring it to make it fall off. I had my Vet check it to make sure it would heal okay. I had wormed her the day before. The Vet said to worm her again.
I always give a full tube to adult horses even though none of them weigh 1200 pounds. So if you don't give a full tube for doseing your horse it probably would be safe enough to give him another dose.
Thanks everyone for the replies and Ladytrails thanks for the link.
The only reson I hesitated was because of the ivermectin going directly into the digestive system. Although this horse is still relatively new here, I don't think his worm load is high enough to be concerned with a massive die off, but I am one of those "better safe than sorry" types.
My gut told me it would be ok to re-dose, but I figured it was worth a shot to see what others have done.
I did redose him yesterday, which was one week later than the first dose, and he took it right down with nothing more than a dirty look to tell me he did not appreciate the gunky stuff so soon after the last time. All was forgiven though with some apple slices right after.
At least he will eat apples now and is no longer just a honey granola boy.:D
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:18 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0