The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Stallions... what's the big deal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/stallions-whats-big-deal-12902/)

FutureVetGirl 08-07-2008 07:14 AM

Stallions... what's the big deal?

I'm sorry if this is not in the right forum section...

I was looking through some of my horse books, and happened upon the "buy a horse" section. And one of the biggest things that stood out to me was: DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER A STALLION. (yup... it was in all caps, and bold too)

My question is: What's the big deal?

Stallions really aren't as bad as most mares I've met. I've met only one stallion that got out of control, and that's because he was a racehorse that was fed a ton of sweetfeed and oats to encourage his energy, and then he was placed in a stall when his career as a racer ended, without any change in his feed, so he got overly hyper and out of control. But even then... if his feed would be changed *glares at owners* he would be a great horse! Even for a beginner rider!

I've ridden a ton of stallions. And I'm not talking about horses who were old. I'm talking about young horses, ages 3-8. And THEY'VE been better, calmer, and nicer then the mares and gelding I've ridden! Sure, they might take a bit more socialization and training then some mares and geldings, but so what? Isn't it worth it?

I rode one horse for about a year, and every time I rode him, I thought he was a gelding. He was about 6 or 7. And I loved him. He was good, he was kind, and he was great. And he didn't even have the absolute best training! And then, a year after I started riding him, I found out he was a stallion. I was shocked. But that was when I began thinking that people blame bad training on the fact that a horse is a stallion. I'm not saying that stallions won't be unpredictable. But then... geldings are mares are the same way. Why is it that one gets shunned, while the others are eagerly accepted?

I have nothing against gelding. By all means. But saying that a horse isn't for you just because he's a stallion is stupid.

If someone can shed a bit more light on this, I'd be grateful. But for now, I must say that every stallion I have ever met was either being too hyper because he was fed too much grain without being exercized, or he was more an angel then his mare and gelding counterparts (except a bit more jumpy, but more likely to learn on).

lacyloo 08-07-2008 07:52 AM

I think it depends on training and socalizing at an earlier age and hormons..

But just beacuase the stallion is friendly doesn't mean you should stand between it and a mare in heat. ( not impliying) that you have or anyone have.. But I wouldn't ride a stallion on trail rides with other mare's ,I would be worried that a mare would be in heat .

All the stallions i'v seen are dangerous. then again Thats because the owner's around here, dont feel like paying a 200$ gelding fee. Me and a friend got chased down by a stallion on her 4x4. I dont know if he was being territoral or he had other ideas :roll:
But i think its very important for your saftey and for the mares, to fix your stallions unless you are really are capable of keeping a stallion(and I know some people on here have stalion's) and i know they are cared for.

FutureVetGirl 08-07-2008 07:56 AM

Yeah... but mares and geldings can be the same way. It's not just the stallions. In fact, from what I've known, most mares can be worse. Most people just freak out when they hear or find out it's a stallion because of all the bad press.

Same with pit bulls. Because of bad press, people freak, and go nuts. I think it's kind of dumb.

lacyloo 08-07-2008 08:04 AM

I agree some stalliions are trained properly and some are not..
mare's can be nasty too, I think people just dont like stallions becauase they probably saw a bad stallion at one time or another.

But i saw a stallion the other day that was really calm. he was a arab mix. cutie

Spyder 08-07-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacyloo

All the stallions i'v seen are dangerous. then again Thats because the owner's around here, dont feel like paying a 200$ gelding fee.

If the owner isn't willing to pay the gelding fee then it is an owner that is obviously not mature enough to own a stud. On that premise I would bet they don't even bother to put the time in to train it.

It is because of owners like that where stallion get a bad rap.

lacyloo 08-07-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder
Quote:

Originally Posted by lacyloo

All the stallions i'v seen are dangerous. then again Thats because the owner's around here, dont feel like paying a 200$ gelding fee.

If the owner isn't willing to pay the gelding fee then it is an owner that is obviously not mature enough to own a stud. On that premise I would bet they don't even bother to put the time in to train it.

It is because of owners like that where stallion get a bad rap.

yep you are exactly right.
Our vet even makes house calls to nueter horses. :roll:

FutureVetGirl 08-07-2008 08:24 AM

I agree that some people just shouldn't have horses if they won't pay certain bills (some of them are euthenasia bills, which cause a lot of horses to die by other means), but that shouldn't mean that the whole gender should be outlawed.

That same book said to get all the other horses from good homes. But they said no stallions. Period. No matter how well trained.

It's frustrating. A stallion is just as good as any other horse. Most of the time better.

But even if a mare is in heat, a trained stallion does not suddenly mount the mare. None of the stallions I've ridden even went slightly nuts over a mare in heat. (and we've ridden with quite a few).

I dunno... I just don't get it.

farmpony84 08-07-2008 10:08 AM

alot of times when people buy books on horse care it's becuase they are thinking about buying a horse, not because they already own them. Alot of those people have no experience with horses, or have only had lessons and don't know how to care for or train a horse... these books are mostly geared towards first time horse buyers and for those people, that is really good advice. Buying a stallion for a first time horse isn't something I would suggest to someoen with no experience. They arent gearing those books towards expereinced people like you...

charroit 08-07-2008 10:53 AM

I'd have to say, my studs are better than the two gldings I have on this place and less spooky than my mares XD I ride my 15.3 Appy stallion Cougar in group trail rides all the time. He can be nose to butt with a mare in heat and he just looks the other way. Sanson my pony cross, can be ridden bareback in group rides and the same goes for him. Now Little who (Our mini) he's a whole other story lol :wink:

Anyway, I thought i'd put my input because iv'e seen the good bad and the ugly with studs. Mine have always been fine, but Mr.Toad's sire was incredibly insane. No one had control over that thing.

PoptartShop 08-07-2008 12:00 PM

It's really a personal preference. Stallions (in general) usually aren't focused on their work & pay more attention to the mares around them. & yes, not every stallion is like that, but most are.
Some stallions can be high-strung too. It really depends on the individual horse. Some people have a stallion & they think it's a gelding. LOL! :P
But yeah, I'd never get one.