The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Critique My Photography?? Please... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/critique-my-photography-please-129029/)

SlideStop 06-29-2012 11:33 PM

Critique My Photography?? Please...

Hiya!

I'm a hobbyist photographer. I haven't ever taken a class but it has always interested me. Not to toot my own horn, but some say I have a natural eye. About a year ago I set up an account to display some of the better ones. If you click on "Featured" they all should be in there.

Would anyone mind critiquing some of them? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

My Gallery

Thanks a ton! :D

tinyliny 06-30-2012 12:00 AM

the link takes me to Deviantart, but not to YOUR account. take a look and maybe be sure you have the link to your acount.

SlideStop 06-30-2012 12:09 AM

Thanks Tiny!! That's embarrassing! lol, I guess thats what happens when I try to make it fancy. Of course I can't figure out how to edit it. The option won't come up on the bottom of the post.

The link is::

HHeim02 on deviantART

Fingerlakes 06-30-2012 12:50 AM

Good stuff! I like Cora. Well done. Some good use of DOF in some of the others. What setup are you using? Canon or Nikon? What lenses? I have been in the field for 30 years, but never did it as my only profession. I did a TON of weddings, but it was not for the love of the work, the $$$ was good. I do a lot of landscape and nature stuff now. Not to hijack, but here are some of mine.
http://www.treklens.com/members/AlaskanH/photos/

horseandme 06-30-2012 01:11 AM

you live in morton?? I live right outside of there, in mackinaw! wll if that is infact where you live haha.

Shropshirerosie 06-30-2012 03:51 AM

Those are beautiful photos and only for that reason am I going to be hyper-critical: I thing they're so good, they are worth improving.

Landscapes & scenes: no matter how gorgeous is is, it will be a lot more interesting if there is a point of interest, a unique feature, one that draws the viewers eye.

Close-ups. Make sure you are absolutely sure that before you take the picture you have decided what is to be the focus point, and then make certain that the camera focuses on that bit. The picture of the hand on the horn (pommel? Weston saddle thingy) is a case in point.

Horses. Unless it is your intention to take a grumpy horse picture, seek to always get those ears forward. Do whatever you have to, dance up and down, have a friend throw gravel in the air. A well composed horse picture needs ears in the right place.

They are extremely good photos, keep enjoying.

SlideStop 06-30-2012 06:50 AM

Thank you!! =D

Totally agree with you, I did crop it but I think I loaded the wrong.western saddle pic! I was bummed when it came out crooked.

Landscapes are pretty new to me, I will definitely keep the content in mind.

Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 06-30-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseandme (Post 1573703)
you live in morton?? I live right outside of there, in mackinaw! wll if that is infact where you live haha.

Nope, I live on Long Island! =D no Morton here.
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 06-30-2012 07:00 AM

Fingerlakes, I aspire to be that good! Lol. I have a cannon Rebel XS with a 75-300 mm lens (I think, I don't remember and don't feel like getting up to look). I will double check, its like a kids toy camera in the photography world. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 06-30-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 1573860)
Fingerlakes, I aspire to be that good! Lol. I have a cannon Rebel XS with a 75-300 mm lens (I think, I don't remember and don't feel like getting up to look). I will double check, its like a kids toy camera in the photography world. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

I lied, its a 55-250mm. This one to be exact:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0011NVMO8
Posted via Mobile Device