The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Opinions on sun care for pink skinned horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/opinions-sun-care-pink-skinned-horses-129066/)

ThirteenAcres 06-30-2012 02:09 PM

Opinions on sun care for pink skinned horses?

I recently bought a little paint filly who came to me wormy, skinny, and terribly sun burned. Most of her face is white...well...pink now from the sun burning. I couldn't find a fly mask with the muzzle part in her size locally, so I've ordered one offline and am waiting for it.

Long story short, she really needs the chance at pasture grazing, but I am wondering if it is in her best interest to just stall her up during the daylight hours instead of exposing her further.

What do you do to keep your pink skinned horses happy in the sun? I've been applying sunscreen to her face and trying to keep her out of the sunny parts of my pasture. Is one sunscreen better than another? Do the sun shaded masks seem to be sufficient in keeping them from being burned, or should I also worry about full body burning? Her back is dark.

Thanks for any advice!!

WSArabians 06-30-2012 02:12 PM

I've got several sabinos woth white faces (one between her back legs as well) that sunburn. I just use kids sun block lotion knce a day and it works awesome!

ThirteenAcres 06-30-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSArabians (Post 1574173)
I've got several sabinos woth white faces (one between her back legs as well) that sunburn. I just use kids sun block lotion knce a day and it works awesome!

That's a good idea with the kid's lotion! I bet it is much cheaper than what you buy at the vet supply. o_o It's like $25 a bottle here.

She's also a sabino with a mostly white face. Poor girl. Do you ever use the sun masks?

SorrelHorse 06-30-2012 02:33 PM

Yep, the sunscreen works great. I go out every morning and apply it to Ruger and Jester's noses when I feed and they don't get burned. The fly mask will make a big differance too. I don't use the sunscreen when I have their full face masks on, and still no burning. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

ThirteenAcres 06-30-2012 02:36 PM

Awesome! It doesn't sound as bad as I thought, then.

chandra1313 06-30-2012 02:50 PM

Destin creme for diaper rash it has zinc in it which will block the sun. Also when your looking for sunscreen look for sunblock on the label, there is a difference in sunscreen vs sunblock. I use colored zinc on one of mine.

PaintHorseMares 06-30-2012 04:36 PM

Plenty of white (or pink) faces here. The way I look at it, you do the best you can by putting masks and sun screen/zinc oxide on and then turn them out like they are meant to be.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace80908 07-01-2012 05:05 AM

I give Ivy (90 percent white medicine hat paint) her choice, and I find she spends the majority of the day in her stall and comes out in the early morning, evening, and night. I keep a flymask on and despite that I swear she has a sunburn line from where her mask ends down her muzzle... plus little burnt inner legs- I am buying her sunscreen tomorrow, and going to keep her fly sheet on her as well...

gunslinger 07-01-2012 12:38 PM

My mare Lacy has blue eyes and a bald face.

I bought some nutrigena 100spf sun screen, which I apply morning and night.

During the day our horse are stalled, and I keep a Cashel long nose fly mask on her.

She's doing great.

riccil0ve 07-01-2012 12:41 PM

I buy the Coppertone baby sunblock, the SPF is 70 or 75. Works great and way cheaper than horse products. Good luck!