The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critique Trouble my new TB! New pics! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critique-trouble-my-new-tb-new-129132/)

Peppy Barrel Racing 07-01-2012 01:05 AM

Critique Trouble my new TB! New pics!

This is my new TB trouble. I took some better conformation shots of him today. I know his weight needs some work he was very wormy when I got him and he just got over having strangles. So try to image him once he fills out more. He just turned 3 he is exactly 15 HH. Plans for future possible barrel racing or head horse for roping. Currently being lightly ridden and being taught the basics. He is such a smart gentle horse I'm so glad I found him!

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/933bd5c6.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/a92b5812.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/cc6de184.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...s/7f189f06.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...08483253_n.jpg

huntjumpliz 07-01-2012 01:31 AM

Just turned 3.. Wow he looks young! It must be that baby doll head :)

His feet could stand some care (I'm sure you have that in your plans).

What stands out most to me are his LOOONG pasterns. That is typical for the TBs though. You'll just have to be careful about your work load as he gets older because of the extra strain on them.

Over all he looks like a good find :) I'm sure you'll find a great job for him. TB's are awesome! As a matter of fact, he kind of reminds me of my boy, Brink. Same dark bay color, and same little white marking on the same leg ;)

Peppy Barrel Racing 07-01-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntjumpliz (Post 1575085)
Just turned 3.. Wow he looks young! It must be that baby doll head :)

His feet could stand some care (I'm sure you have that in your plans).

What stands out most to me are his LOOONG pasterns. That is typical for the TBs though. You'll just have to be careful about your work load as he gets older because of the extra strain on them.

Over all he looks like a good find :) I'm sure you'll find a great job for him. TB's are awesome! As a matter of fact, he kind of reminds me of my boy, Brink. Same dark bay color, and same little white marking on the same leg ;)

Awe thanks! Yeah he is very baby faced I also questioned his age, but his former owner said 3 and vet says he has 3 yr old teeth in. I don't think he has grown into a 3 yr old body yet guess he is a late bloomer. Though his baby face is one of my favorite things about him. He is long pasturned but so is my other TB. He is a very smooth ride though. How cute that he and brink are similar u should put a pick up I wouldn't mind seeing him. Thanks for your critique I appreciate it.

Peppy Barrel Racing 07-01-2012 09:32 AM

Oh btw his feet now sadly thats after the farrier trimmed them, you should of seen them before that. He will be getting regular trimmings from now with time he will have some nice feet. You can tell how poorly managed they were before I got ahold of him even after his first trim. I hate it when people don't take good care of horses feet.

Cacowgirl 07-01-2012 12:37 PM

Yes, he looks younger-such a sweet baby face. Keep us posted on your journey w/him.

Elana 07-01-2012 03:54 PM

I do not see "heading horse" for roping in this horse's future. I like him, but a heading horse needs to be a LOT of horse.. with good bone and the ability to take the jerk. Most Thoroughbreds have neither the bone or the disposition for that sort of work. He MIGHT do barrels because he is not big, but be sure to use support wraps on those legs. Thoroughbred legs can take a lot (many are jumpers) but it is mostly straight compression, not the twisting and stiff stopping needed for Western sports (there is a real good reason Quarterhorses dominate these sports).

This horse is actually quite nice. He has a good shoulder, nice open angle at the point of shoulder and he is nt tied in behind the knee. I would like his nice, roomy hocks to be a bit lower to the ground. He has very long rear pasterns.. fronts are typical for the breed.

His coupling is a bit weak and the top of his croup is set a bit far back (that is why the coupling is a bit weak). He has nice withers that carry nicely into his back. his neck seems a bit ewed, but considering its location above his chest, it seems this is a lack of groceries, which you are providing.

This is a nice little horse. I don't much like his head of the set of his jaw.. it seems weak. That being said, you don't ride the head!

I could see him being a nice little equitation over fences type horse. He might jump nice and flat enough to not jar his rider. However, he looks to have the potential to be very round over fences which would make him a nice jumper but not so good an equitation horse.

Taffy Clayton 07-01-2012 04:16 PM

I think with some groceries he will be a mighty fine mount. He looks just like a little TB.

Peppy Barrel Racing 07-01-2012 05:14 PM

I thought he looked like a nice hunter jumper as well but I know nothing about jumping and unfortunately i couldnt do jumping style events becuase of a disc herniation in my neck. The type of roping that we may do is breakaway I just would like to start doing it for fun not competitively I don't think it's good for horses just to do one sport. If we go barrel racing he will definitely have sport boots on for proper joint support. Though he isn't the horse I was planning on to be my next racer I'm hoping my QH colt jet will be that actually. But it can't hurt him to learn an extra curricular activities. I just fell in love with Trouble when I saw him and he has the smarts and good temperament that I love. Thanks so much for your critique I enjoy learning about horse conformation and this helps me learn.

deserthorsewoman 07-01-2012 08:29 PM

He's still a baby!! Be prepared that he will grow still. My 3 year old OTTB put on 2"in the first three months of the track and widened out a lot. And had even longer pasterns. Definitely not for jumping, put a super smooth trot. The feet are typical.....takes a very good farrier or even better, barefoot trimmer and some time.
I'd say get him the much needed groceries, ride him lightly and look at him again once he's done with the growing and filling out. You might be surprised :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Peppy Barrel Racing 07-01-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 1576202)
He's still a baby!! Be prepared that he will grow still. My 3 year old OTTB put on 2"in the first three months of the track and widened out a lot. And had even longer pasterns. Definitely not for jumping, put a super smooth trot. The feet are typical.....takes a very good farrier or even better, barefoot trimmer and some time.
I'd say get him the much needed groceries, ride him lightly and look at him again once he's done with the growing and filling out. You might be surprised :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah he is definitely still growing I know he is at a bit of an awkward stage right but I see real potential in him. I loved him the moment I saw him. He is getting rode light about 30 to 45. Mostly just light trail riding and learning basic skills. Stoping, turning, backing, move off pressure. Sometimes I just ride him around the yard just bareback in a rope halter. He is getting some very good groceries I'm very good at getting weight on TB's since it took some time to figure out a good formula for my other TB Pepper. He loses weight really easy because I have him working a lot. He will be looking good especially once I'm he is officially strangles free he gets to go on the big pasture with the others.