The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Brushing Boots, Overeach Boots etc What are they? (

xxToddyxx 07-01-2012 08:35 AM

Brushing Boots, Overeach Boots etc What are they?
Ok so I have recently got my first Pony and would Like to ask some questions. Should I put Brushing boots on him for show Jumping Training and or Competing?
What about cross country? what sort of boots should I put on him for that?
It is all very confusing. The only boots I understand are travelling Boots.


HagonNag 07-01-2012 08:48 AM

Welcome to the forum, Toddy!

Boots are only needed if you see a problem. Overreach boots are used to protect the horse if he tends to reach so far forward with his back legs, that his hooves connect with his front hooves or lower legs. Listen for clicking sounds of hoof clicking against hoof. You probably won't need them.

Brushing boots are used when a hoof tends to brush against the opposite leg. Our OTTB routinely has a small cut or sore on his back pastern where his left (near) hoof brushes against the inside of his right (offside) pastern. Brushing boots protect that spot from his hoof.

There are all kinds of horse equipment for all kinds of situations. I'd watch what others are wearing or doing and ask lots of questions. Your instructor or trainer should be able to give you great guidance.

Skyseternalangel 07-01-2012 09:07 AM

730 Attachment(s)
A horse should always have protection on their legs because things happen and better safe than sorry.

Polos, brushing boots, open front boots, hock boots, jumping boots are kind of standard choices in protection.

Over reach or bell boots are more about preventing problems like the horse kicking themselves from behind or stepping on a shoe, etc.

I recommend at least one or the other; sometimes both are combined for extra protection.

I have brushing boots for my horse and I set of polos which I don't really use much anymore but gone are the days where I ride or lunge without protecting my horse's legs. He is my investment after all.

For anything to do with jumping, you need to protect your horse's legs. Open fronts I believe are what most jumpers use. Jumping boots are used for XC/eventing/jumping as well. It all depends.. gotta find what works best for your horse and what event you're doing.

HagonNag 07-01-2012 09:16 AM

See? I stand corrected. Thank you, Skys.

There's always someone around here with more knowledge or another opinion. Thank Goodness. More heads are better than one.

Skyseternalangel 07-01-2012 09:41 AM

730 Attachment(s)
Hey I don't know it all :P Just what I research and know from experience with Sky :)

cuttinmom 07-03-2012 01:04 PM

I use RES Splint/ Brushing boots. very affordable and they have replaceable Velcro! check them out they are great!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome