The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sky Vet Exam (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sky-vet-exam-129157/)

Skyseternalangel 07-01-2012 09:38 AM

Sky Vet Exam

Okay so I'm having the vet out sometime in the next 2 weeks (haven't called.. weekend + insane time zone difference) BUT ANYWAY

Sky has had this weird reaction so going to have a blood panel done to see what's up.

This is what I am going to do for Sky thus far:

1. Bloodwork
2. Teeth floating

Is there something else I should get done? He had a fecal done back in Feb, and his sheath cleaned. It's been almost 5 months so should I get both done again? Should I get him examined for ulcers?

He's UTD on shots.

Reminder that I'm a first horse person and I want to use this vet visit to get important things done or things that could help him out in the long run.

Thanks!

kitten_Val 07-01-2012 10:57 AM

Coggins may be if not done?

Don't know about cleaning the private part as I have mares (so I just clean them once/week usually myself). If he doesn't show any signs I wouldn't care about test for ulcers personally - I never did one.

Skyseternalangel 07-01-2012 11:12 AM

Alright and yeah coggins would be smart. Good call!

rookie 07-01-2012 03:18 PM

vaccines? Rabies for sure as its often required by the state. If he is showing signs of ulcers then investigate but if not you might be going down a rabbit hole IMHO.

Roperchick 07-01-2012 03:25 PM

i think you got it covered haha.

eclipseranch 07-01-2012 03:33 PM

Sky check with the vet, some don't like to do too much at once, especially if the plan is to sedate for a teeth float, vacs make a horse feel kind of crummy for 24 hrs or so just like people, I clean my geldings sheaths every couple months but we have a total trust relationship & they let me get up close & personal w/o sedation..if there is an actual health issue causing you to want blood work they may want to postpone other treatment like vacs & sedation till the issue gets cleared up. coggins can easily be done with the other blood work but only necessary annually.. so see when it is due.

Skyseternalangel 07-01-2012 09:26 PM

That's a good point eclipse. I didn't even consider that! Thank you for bringing that point up. I will definitely check with my vet first.

Rookie you also make a good point.

I'm glad I asked :P

Klassic Superstar 07-01-2012 09:52 PM

Good luck in getting answers from the blood work! Crossing my fingers and toes for you! Ollie gets his teeth done in about two months lol I can't wait to get drugged up pony pictures!

Oxer 07-01-2012 10:04 PM

My vet has this super new thing that is literally a "snap test" for ulcers. Feces goes in to a small cup is swished around in whatever liquid is inside the cup, and a couple drops of the mixture is placed on the test strips. It is able to read the occult blood levels within the feces. Which, of course, indicates the severity of the ulcers. This test in lieu of the endoscopy, in my opinion, is pretty awesome. Just a thought.

Skyseternalangel 07-01-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxer (Post 1576351)
My vet has this super new thing that is literally a "snap test" for ulcers. Feces goes in to a small cup is swished around in whatever liquid is inside the cup, and a couple drops of the mixture is placed on the test strips. It is able to read the occult blood levels within the feces. Which, of course, indicates the severity of the ulcers. This test in lieu of the endoscopy, in my opinion, is pretty awesome. Just a thought.

Do you know what it's official name is? I can see if my vet does something like that. I just want to know medically where my horse is at, especially since the strange sunburn type deal on his back which has never happened before to him..

He's been in his field since (the barn doesn't do stall rest without a vet saying it's a life or death thing..) and no red on his back.. but I'm still going to check.