The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Help with boarding situation.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/help-boarding-situation-129174/)

aimcat 07-01-2012 03:05 PM

Help with boarding situation....

Ok bare with me this could be long...

First off I like to casually western ride - trails some ring riding etc.

I am currently been leasing a horse at a barn but have had my own horses there also. Known the individual that owns the barn and been there 2 years. Its just me and her. No other boarders. She is a nice person and probably means well. However in the past few weeks has started becoming really dictative. Suggesting I buy a certain horse (same breed she rides), suggesting I not ride in a brand new cordura saddle I bought because she said it was not safe like leather ones, telling me to start wearing a helmet (which I should anyway), being really bossy. It was just really off putting to me and caused me to consider leaving.

I am getting a new horse now and have the option of staying there or going to these other places:

1. Very nice cutting horse breeding farm (I am not going for this reason or discipline only consider because its nice) - they have an outdoor ring, indoor ring, 20 stall barn (but I cant use a stall), and paddocks and large pastures. However none of the pastures have run ins or anyway for the horses to get out of the weather. The board price here is 150 and includes just use of riding areas, and pasture. No feed or extras. Possibly includes hay in winter. This farm is about 22 mins each way from my home. There are 3 other boarders there but are not there much.

2. Next is a farm thats only 10 minutes from me. It offers only self care type boarding with no feed or hay. But has a stable that stalls can be used any time as needed as long as they are cleaned. Run in shelter in pasture, round pen, riding ring, and some trails. The board here is 200 and there is 1 other boarder there.

3. Is a farm that is 30 minutes from me has 400 acres of riding. Pasture only with some hay in winter. But it has 15 boarders (I worry about drama and clickyness that comes with a lot of boarders) and they primarily do a lot of fox hunting and cross country. A few western riders, but not much. No riding rings except a "grass area". No barn to use. Some little lean to shelter type areas. Its 140 here.

So based on this what would you do and where would you go? This is a big decision because I dont want to jump from place to place.

KarrotKreek 07-01-2012 03:09 PM

How do these compare with your current boarding arrangement? What type of facilities, services, amenities and costs do you currently have?

ThirteenAcres 07-01-2012 03:11 PM

I'd consider the needs of your new horse. If you buy something a little more high maintenence then you'd want access to a stall. If you find something that does not need a lot of pampering, go with the cheaper option at the cutting barn and enjoy the riding rings.

aimcat 07-01-2012 03:17 PM

The horse I am getting is currently use to being able to come into a barn at will to get out of snow, rain, heat, etc. I would kind of like that for her. She is ok on just grass and hay in winter. My current place has a run in barn, feed, hay, etc. But I question the feeding practices there. I feel like they are overfed some.Its around 125 there per month.

ThirteenAcres 07-01-2012 03:20 PM

Then I would definitely choose the option that allows you access to a stall or run in to make the transition easier. It will be stressful at first moving to a new environment, so maybe something more familiar to your current horse would also help with that?

I'm biased because I love cutting horses. haha

Chardavej 07-01-2012 04:37 PM

Do you really want to leave? Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

eclipseranch 07-01-2012 04:49 PM

the only thing i can say is going to the barn should be a positive situation..if it is not..those things that are making it neg have to change... who knows what is going on in your BO's personal life...but she is bringing it into your relationship..that is toxic no matter the source...& needs to change no matter how you accomplish it! good luck

aimcat 07-01-2012 08:21 PM

I didn't want to leave but it's starting to become a negative thing for me. I could go on and on about the annoying things she says and does not to mention meddling in my personal life.
Posted via Mobile Device

Silent one 07-01-2012 08:24 PM

I would definitely leave. Can't advise you on which place to go, you will have to decide that, but I would leave the place you are. Horses should be a joy and a relaxation to you, not a vexation.

AnalisaParalyzer 07-01-2012 09:38 PM

Have you tried talking to her about it?
Posted via Mobile Device