The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Sorrel with a dorsal stripe? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/sorrel-dorsal-stripe-129206/)

TristaJean 07-01-2012 08:45 PM

Sorrel with a dorsal stripe?

3 Attachment(s)
My mustang has some pretty cool markings, and I've been learning more about colors and patterns in horses and I wanted to know if my boy has any sort of special markings. :-)
He has a dorsal stripe, so I was wondering if that would make him a dun of some sort? :oops:
He also has some weird white "frosting" across his back, along with some white spots and "grease spots".

(Yes, he has scars. No, they're not from me, or my tack.)

CLaPorte432 07-01-2012 08:49 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Hes not dun. Hes sorrel. The "dorsal" you are seeing is countershading. My sorrels have it too. Most horses will have countershading along their spine and withers.
Posted via Mobile Device

lilruffian 07-01-2012 08:51 PM

Definitely not a dun, as CLaPorte432 said, it is just countershading and i'm not sure about his white flecking... The white spots could just be from an old injury of some sort and the hair just grew in white.

MelissaAnn 07-01-2012 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a dorsal stripe, his line is counter shading. A dorsal stripe is very dark and clear. This is an example of a chestnut/sorrel horse with the dun factor, a red dun as they are called around here.

TristaJean 07-01-2012 08:55 PM

Whoops. Never mind then. :oops:
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 07-01-2012 09:22 PM

I have three chestnuts (sorrels) with dorsal stripes, and they're Arabians so they can't actually have the dun gene, so it is entirely possible in sorrels. :)

TexanFreedom 07-02-2012 12:08 PM

Just countershading. My friend's sorrel QH gelding has this, but it's no where close to the red dun that's on the same property. Her gelding also has faint fake 'leg barring', also known to be due to countershading.He shows no other 'dun factors'.

ThirteenAcres 07-02-2012 12:13 PM

Do you have some full body pics of any socks or stockings or facial markings?

TristaJean 07-02-2012 06:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a few more pictures that show his face :)

excuse his derpy-ness in the first picture, he was in the middle of a shake :lol:

His face markings actually connect, it's just hard to see :)