The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Problems with former hay guy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/problems-former-hay-guy-12923/)

Mercury 08-07-2008 02:04 PM

Problems with former hay guy

So last march I needed a load of hay so the barn owner called her hay supplier and had him bring me out some square bales. He came while I wasn't there and dropped them off in the barn with instructions to leave a note in one of the bales with how many bales and how much they were. Well he didn't leave one. I tried calling him on several occations but he never got back to me. Now yesterday he called the barn owner and left a message saying he needed to be paid for the bales.

I left her a check for them, but how kosher is it to finally call after 5 months of not returning messages to demand payment? This is definitely not a hay supplier I will ever use again! Thanks for letting me vent a bit.

Angel_Leaguer 08-07-2008 03:09 PM

was he upset about the time it took to get paid? I wonder why he never called you back right away, most people like to get paid asap...lol. Hope you can find someone else for the future

Mercury 08-07-2008 03:14 PM

I tried calling several times and left messages and the barn owner left messages. We quit using him because we couldn't get ahold of him! I can only store enough hay for 50 days so if I can't get ahold of someone when I start running low I immediately find someone else. It just irritated me after 5 months he just now gets ahold of us. I can't even remember how many bales he brought so I just wrote a check for the approximate amount. If it's different he'll have to call me in person.

DashAwayAll 08-08-2008 06:10 AM

Solon had given me a website to check for hay guys.... www.haybarn.com I think it was. Also, ask your local farmers. Your beef and dairy farmers will either sell you some ( if it was a good year) ... they might be able to sell you a years worth and have you pick it up a little at a time. or they will know hay people. The good folks who don't advertise.

Just make sure ya tell em you need horse hay, not cattle hay.

Also, you might be able to store bales outside ( rounds easier than small squares. There are all sorts of hay tarps) - www.farmtec.com.
<---- I think that's the email addy. It's something like that. or google it.