The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Rain Rot? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rain-rot-129231/)

armydogs 07-01-2012 11:21 PM

Rain Rot?

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...o/20120701.jpg

Can someone please give me an idea if this is rain rot? It is on her butt and withers, but nowhere else. It doesn't appear to be itchy, and isnt leaving her bald or with sores. She has hair that has grown in under it. If I pick at it, it does come out in clumps. I thought at first she was shedding again, but I have never heard of a horse that sheds twice in one year. What do you guys think?

Conrad And Freddie 07-01-2012 11:38 PM

I think it looks like rain rot. I would give the area a good brush to remove the scabs and then spray it with some spray. I use 50 parts water and 50 parts Listerine :)

Skyseternalangel 07-02-2012 12:40 AM

Yes that's a bad case of rain rot.

Just so you know, leaving it exposed to sun and air is a good thing so don't use a sheet or blanket if you can avoid to.

armydogs 07-02-2012 12:42 AM

Thanks! I would have never guessed it as rain rot, since there has been no rain here in over 3 months. I guess her sweating could/would cause it just as much as rain would. Ok, Ill make sure I bathe her tomorrow to help her get rid of it.

Skyseternalangel 07-02-2012 12:48 AM

Rain rot is actually not related to rain :P It took me a few months to realize this haha, it's just a name. Kind of like mud fever isn't always related to mud. It's a skin fungus, which can really make a horse uncomfortable. It's not life threatening but some things can be done to rid and prevent it from happening.

How long has this been going on?

DriftingShadow 07-02-2012 01:00 AM

definitely rain rot, OP! :(
I am battling this with Drifter right now. He has it on his bag legs really bad from getting in the lake and mud constantly. I cant blame him because I know he's only trying to stay cool. It is ridiculously hot down here. I agree with the above suggestion of half and half listerine and water. it does WONDERS. Make sure to keep the area dry!

Good luck :)

themacpack 07-02-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 1576648)
Rain rot is actually not related to rain :P It took me a few months to realize this haha, it's just a name. Kind of like mud fever isn't always related to mud. It's a skin fungus, which can really make a horse uncomfortable. It's not life threatening but some things can be done to rid and prevent it from happening.

How long has this been going on?

To piggy-back, the rain rot itself is not necessarily life threatening, but it can open the door to other very serious issues that come as complications. The initial issue can cause excessive rubbing/scratching which can create open sores which can become gateways for infection. The horses overall system can be compromised by the initial issue and leave them more prone to developing serious cases of other illnesses that would not otherwise be as serious because of the already compromised state of being.

Skyseternalangel 07-02-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1576685)
To piggy-back, the rain rot itself is not necessarily life threatening, but it can open the door to other very serious issues that come as complications. The initial issue can cause excessive rubbing/scratching which can create open sores which can become gateways for infection. The horses overall system can be compromised by the initial issue and leave them more prone to developing serious cases of other illnesses that would not otherwise be as serious because of the already compromised state of being.

Very true! And OP what helped my horse was giving them an oral vitamin A supplement injectable. Meaning an oral syringe (like wormer) with 5ccs of liquid Vitamin A. It helped clear it up within a week or so. And it was gone (along with bathing and picking off soft scabs) within 3 weeks.

Cherie (A member of this forum) can tell you more.
This is where I got the vit A: Vitamin A-D - Jeffers

armydogs 07-02-2012 11:24 AM

I noticed her doing this about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was due to her sweating and then rolling in the dirt. I didn't think much of it. I went out of town last week, and it just seems to have gotten worse. I think I am really lucky due to the fact that she isn't itching it. There are no scabs anywhere. Just the nasty looking stuff. Ill look into the vit a supplement like you recommended Sky. Thank you everyone for your help. Queen appreciates it.

Elizabeth Bowers 07-02-2012 11:54 AM

A friend of mine had a mare that got rain rot really bad, and she used A & D ointment on it and it cleared in like a week. It also helped my mare out with her rain rot also, with the combo of A & D ointment for when she's rolling and out and about, and Listerine for after some exercise, or after a good rain or roll in the mud, it cleared up in 2 weeks. :)