The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Looking for a new feed for my horse... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/looking-new-feed-my-horse-12925/)

hotreddun 08-07-2008 02:45 PM

Looking for a new feed for my horse...

Aggie stats:

about 1288 lb. 16hh 15 year old Quarter Horse

He is un-athletic right now because he has had 6 months of not working becuase of my pregnancy.

I plan on starting back slowly...for his sake and mine...maybe trying to ride mostly on trails at a walk and trot for 4 to 6 weeks for about 40 minutes 4 times a week...then slowly bump up the work-outs from there getting back in to our top form for lower level dressage/hunter on the flat work.

Health history: He has arthritis just about everywhere...but it doesn't bother him to much. He was previously on a joint supplement...probably go back on that soon. He seems to be pre-disposed to laminitis/founder. We had a scare last April because of an outbreak of clover in his pasture. No rotation...but he did have some inflammation in the hoof capsule..all that cleared up by May.

Feed right now: Triple Crown Low Starch twice a day...one to two flakes (depending on weight of flake) of grass hay twice a day.

I need something low sugar/low starch for his feed. I am very satisfied with the Triple Crown but unfortunately it is not sold in the town we moved to. I drove 80 miles to go get the feed for him twice...but with the new baby that is all but impossible.

I thought about maybe going to alfalfa in the morning...grass hay twice a day...and maybe a supplemental amount of beet pulp twice a day?

I am strongly against Safechoice and Acco Safe and Sound...all filler no nutrients...personal opinion so please don't reccomend that.

Money isn't a big deal...but let's not get crazy...a similar low starch product from Purina is $27.50 a bag! That's ridiculous!

Oh and I am in the Lufkin Texas area...I know some feeds are regionally based...so I need to be able to find it in this area.

Any ideas?

Peggysue 08-07-2008 11:07 PM

HMM can you get Kent products??

How much of the TC lite were you feeding??

hard or easy keeper???

Look into Kent Feed I know they are avaliable in some areas down there ... also Progressive and Buckeye

If you give me your zip I might be able to help more then the above LOL

Appyt 08-07-2008 11:49 PM

Total Equine

I believe it is marketed in TX.. I feed this to my Aged Appy and it is very easy on the digestive tract. The cost for me here in Ks is $15. a 40# bag. You feed 2-3# twice a day basically and you do NOT feed any hard feed with it. You can feed hay (either grass or alfalfa) of course. Check out the site. I hope that link worked..

hotreddun 08-08-2008 11:21 AM

I'll check out those brands at the local feed stores and see what I can find on the nutrition labels...thanks!