The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Trailering while ~295 days pregnate? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/trailering-while-%7E295-days-pregnate-129287/)

Endiku 07-02-2012 11:01 AM

Trailering while ~295 days pregnate?

Though she's as wide as a house right now, I'm still trying to do a lot of ground training with Sour in order to make her as ready as possible for our Pumpkin Patch in October (foal would be around two months old by then and the vet says that as long as she has a health check first, Sour can go ahead and work for short periods of time at that time) and, more importantly (to me anyways! ahahaha) the February rodeo parade in 2013! Sour has only been trailered twice that I know of, and she was fine for both trips, and she loads well. Still, she needs some practice.

We're taking a string of animals (four miniatures, one of those being a weanling, two goats and a donkey) to a fourth of July festival on Wednesday, and I have the option of bringing her along for the experience. She would be introduced to loud sound, music, strange smells, etc, and I think it would be great for desensatizing her. However, I'm just not sure if that would be too stressful for her right now. I'm also not sure about trailering her with other horses. She'd be divided away from the geldings and the goat, but would have to stand side by side in a large stock trailer with two minis for about 25 minutes. What do you guys think? Would bumping around a bit injure her or the foal?

Please be honest, I'll only do this if its best for her :) if she gets overwhelmed at the festival (she'd just be tied up near everyone to watch, not be in our petting zoo or pony riding string) I can just put her back in the trailer with a hay net and water, but I'm still not sure. I believe the festival is 5 hours long.

Thanks in advance guys!

Skyseternalangel 07-02-2012 10:06 PM

I wouldn't, personally. That's a long day in the hot sun and it will probably be very stressful on her.

Endiku 07-03-2012 05:25 PM

Yeah, I called her vet (since I hadnt gotten any answers) and he said that while the heat itself wasn't a big deal, and neither was trailering- both of those paired with the fact that she wouldn't be alone and she hasn't trailered often made it not a very good idea. Ah well, we'll figure something out ;) maybe we'll take Baby and Sour for a few trailer rides once Baby is old enough to get BOTH of them used to it.

Skyseternalangel 07-03-2012 09:13 PM

I think that's a wonderful idea :)

dbarabians 07-05-2012 07:49 AM

I agree with your vet .
Too many stressors to take a chance.
Which rodeo parade are you talking about. Ft Worth?
I may ride my stallion in it. Shalom

Endiku 07-05-2012 12:43 PM

No, we live in the Houston area- and have both a HUGE rodeo every spring there, and a smaller one in my home town, Katy. Thats the one that I'll be driving Sour in, if I feel like she's ready for that sort of challenge. As of right now she's still green broke to driving so we'll just have to see.

dbarabians 07-05-2012 02:49 PM

I used to show horses and cattle at the Houston Livestock show.
In the 70's. Now Im telling my age.
I used to love the way Ft Worth Houston and San Antonio livestock shows were so close together.
You were gaurunteed about 3 weeks out of school each year. Shalom

Endiku 07-05-2012 06:04 PM

Thats really neat! I've been to the rodeo every year since I was a little one, and I absolutely love it. Actually, seeing the 'trail riders' come in for the rodeo back when I was five was when I first fell in love with horses and knew that they had to be a part of my life, so I have some very fond memories of the rodeo.