The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   My friend might be selling her horse... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-friend-might-selling-her-horse-129300/)

vergo97 07-02-2012 12:09 PM

My friend might be selling her horse...

So today at school my friend said that she might be selling her horse, Tye. She's had Tye for a few years now I think and he is quite young (working on balance and cannot be cantered), but she is working on that with her dad who is an experienced rider.

The reason she gave for them maybe selling him is that he is white and is hard to keep clean all the time, and he ruins some of his rugs?! So they are thinking of getting a bay. Is it just me or is that not a good enough reason to sell a horse?!

I can't pretend I know what it's like to own a horse, but I would appreciate a horse no matter what their colour is, especially as you can see what colour the horse is before you buy, and they have had the horse for a while.

I suppose it just bugs me as I can't afford to have any horse so would be so grateful to have one of any colour, and my friend is contemplating selling a horse because they are harder to keep clean. :evil:

cowboy bowhunter 07-02-2012 12:13 PM

I dont see a problem selling the horse for color. If there not happy with the horse why not sell it. I believe if you arnt happy with your horse sell it and get one you like. Your paying so much to keep the horse why not have something that fits you.

themacpack 07-02-2012 12:18 PM

Imo there is no right or wrong reason for someone to cchoose to sell their horse. What use objectionable to you is not the gold standard for everyone else.

OwnedByAlli 07-02-2012 12:27 PM

I agree its irritating- it used to really annoy me when friends with horses just took them for granted, beacuse I would have given both my arms and legs for a hose at one point!

However, if they don't want the horse any more, thats their choice. And by the sounds of it, this particular horse would be very limited in what it could offer his owner. Perhaps they don't want to carry on putting the effort into this horse if he isn't progressing how they would like him to? After a few years, it would be fustrating not being able to canter!

I'm sure there is someone out there who would love a grey project horse and will be happier to own him than your friend, while your friend can get a different horse who suits her better!

(as for the rugs though... doesn't every horse end up riuning rugs eventually?!?)

vergo97 07-02-2012 01:47 PM

I can see what you're saying, but surely you would have built up a bond with your horse after a few years? And when you buy a horse, it's not like you don't know what colour they are, or what their abilities are.

I know it's partly me thinking that I would just be happy to have a horse no matter what colour they are, and that colour doesn't really make much difference in what the horse is like. Quite a few of my friends have lots of horses, and the way they talk about them makes me think that they have no understanding of how lucky they are to own them. I should just stop allowing myself to be wound up by other people!

alexischristina 07-02-2012 05:37 PM

No. I've had horses that I just didn't 'mesh' with for whatever reason, just because you own a horse doesn't mean you have a 'bond' with your horse. And maybe the colour isn't the only reason for her wanting to get rid of him, and she just doesn't want to share the other reasons with you.

Joidigm 07-02-2012 07:18 PM

People will breed for color, buy for color; so what is wrong with selling for color?

ThirteenAcres 07-02-2012 07:26 PM

I can understand what you mean OP and you're right, it is a shoddy reason and probably not the actual reason.

I think sometimes it is easy for anyone to forget how lucky they are to have a horse and the means to care for that horse. When I was given my first horse I couldn't have cared less what color it was (I thought he was white then, actually grey). He was my dream horse even though he wasn't perfect. Now that I'm older and have gone through cycles of horses, I can understand how it becomes easier to go through a horse without as much emotional attachment.

And the other posters are right about one thing, you can have an amazing horse and just not mesh with them.

equiniphile 07-02-2012 07:35 PM

Well, I'd rather see someone sell a horse because of a bad color than buy a horse only for his color ;-).

Skyseternalangel 07-02-2012 07:59 PM

Have you seen my horse? He's always so clean and shiny. All it takes is a good scrubbing.

I'm thinking the reasons are more deep rooted than she claims..