The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   It's finally here! I'm going to be half leasing a horse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/its-finally-here-im-going-half-129302/)

mellmeme 07-02-2012 01:32 PM

It's finally here! I'm going to be half leasing a horse!

So...I'm going to be half leasing a horse soon. My mom talked to the owner today and now we are going to go meet her and her horse. I am so excited! I have wanted this my whole life. I was wondering what are some things I should look out for while I am meeting the horse. Like bad habits and things that would make life a little harder. Your help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Horses for Lease 07-02-2012 02:26 PM

Congrats Mellmeme, hope you find a great partner. See what the owner expects of you and what the barn atmosphere is like, whether tack is provided, where you can ride, whether you need to take lessons. If you hit it off and everything feels right you might ask about the lease term and whether the owner would include an option to buy, in case you get attached. :)

Clay

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 07-02-2012 02:28 PM

If you're a beginner rider make sure the horse isn't going to be a problem riding. Also make sure she/he hasn't got any habits that you can't manage/correct. Most importantly though make sure you two get along well. Have fun! That's so exciting, what breed is the horse and what do you plan on doing?

mellmeme 07-02-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashleysmardigrasgirl (Post 1577335)
If you're a beginner rider make sure the horse isn't going to be a problem riding. Also make sure she/he hasn't got any habits that you can't manage/correct. Most importantly though make sure you two get along well. Have fun! That's so exciting, what breed is the horse and what do you plan on doing?

Thank you so much! He's a Spotted Saddle Horse. I don't really plan on doing anything fancy, just trail rides and basic riding. He is pretty much going to teach me everything about owning a horse. I don't really want to do 4H or shows.

Skyseternalangel 07-02-2012 08:51 PM

As long as you get a very clear contract outlining what you pay for and what you can and cannot do.. you're golden!

Congratulations!! Leasing is fun

ThursdayNext 07-02-2012 11:20 PM

You've got some good advice there, including the bit about whether there's an option to buy. I'd say, make sure that you and the horse *like* each other as well. I don't mean Unicorn and Rainbow Love, but if this is a horse that is interested in you, and willing for you, and you like his personality, that's important. No sense in getting into a relationship with a horse where you're going to rub each other the wrong way all the time.

Enjoy the half-lease! It's a great way to get your feet wet on horse ownership!