The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Equine Chiropractor & Masseuse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/equine-chiropractor-masseuse-129306/)

nickers103 07-02-2012 01:01 PM

Equine Chiropractor & Masseuse

Hi All,
Thank you for taking the time to read my question and to provide me with some feedback. I have recently begun doing some investigative research into the benefits of equine chiropractic and massage work. I have two horses that I use simply for pleasure and trail but the one has been sitting for a couple of years and has just begun a "get-in-shape" training regime. She is overweight and a Haflinger cross (even worse) so I am sure that this has also contributed to her stiffness and balance. The second is a new horse we recently acquired that has also been out of work for a bit and is just stiff and unbalanced, particularly in the hindquarters. The price quote I received for a equine chiropractor and masseuse would be $165 for both horses. My question is this:what have your experiences been with an equine chiropractor or masseuse? Is it beneficial or just a waste of money?

CJ82Sky 07-02-2012 01:11 PM

i use a chiro and masseuse semi-regularly and have had great results with both.
cost for chiro is usually $110 - $125/horse and if he uses the myofascial release tool, as much as $145/horse. to reduce costs, i do tons of trot work and stretching exercises with my horses both on the ground and under saddle. i've found the more fit they are, the less i need the chiro.

i've also found that when bringing a horse back to work, i prefer to do longing a few times a week for about a month or so before getting the chiro / massage bc if the horse is out of shape i've found the adjustment just won't hold and the horse will be out of whack again in a few days/week.

for massage, i'm lucky enough that a good friend is an certified ESMT and boards her 3 horses with me and we barter. i'll do add'l lessons/training in exchange for massages for my horses and i've seen great results here as well!

walkinthewalk 07-02-2012 05:37 PM

I have four horses and 19 years worth of paying equine chiropractors from the OH/PA border to SoCal to Middle Tennessee.

Chiropractics is-is-is worth the money as long at the chiropractor is a good one.

I once had a chiro tell me that the guy who hurt my Arab and her went to the same school. She said "we all learn the same techniques; it's HOW those techniques are applied that make the difference in hurting the horse or not".

Everyone one of my horses has been worked on and with great benefit. My foundered horse is still in Chiropractic Rehab. When the very nice barefoot trimmer that trimmed him cut into live sole and cut his heels way too short in one fell swoop, he also caused the horse to have "severely strained flexor tendons" <----vet's words, not mine.

This horse also has a fractured sacrum from a 2006 self-induced accident so that compounded the founder/tendon issues because it changed the way he was distributing his weight.

He is slowly recovering, I could write my usual book but won't.

My equine chiro has retired from traveling much further than 20 miles so I had to find a new one. I got lucky again, to find a great lady. It seems the women do a much better job at adjusting simply because we are a lot gentler creature; no offense at all to the men, just my personal experience.

She's not cheap and charges mileage. I'm more than 40 miles away, so when she came and worked on two of my four last Saturday, it was $210.

The horses got Value Received and Bless her, she even brought her horse trainer husband along to take my horses to the roundpen so I wouldn't have to go out in that 105 degree heat. I had a cooling vest on but was still ready to pass out. I just stood in front of the tub fan pushing hot air and watched:-P

Find a high caliber chiropractor and you've found your horse a new friend that they're happy to see when the car or truck pulls up to the barn:D

Skyseternalangel 07-02-2012 10:45 PM

It's so so so so worth it. I need to find one in the Upper Marlboro, MD area for Sky. He definitely needs a tune up as his last one was almost a year ago!

flytobecat 07-02-2012 11:12 PM

Agree with everyone else. It is totally worth it if they know what they are doing.
Our girl charges $75 a horse. She does acupressure body work and chiro with them for 3 hours. Most horses benefit from it, and seem to enjoy the sessons.

Joe4d 07-03-2012 12:37 AM

Equine Chiropractors are very good at what they do.. separating horse owners from their money. People spend money and buy into it and project a placebo effect.

Do your research, look for actual studies, then look at the source of those studies. Last time we had this discussion someone posted "Proof" I read into it and it was written by a highschool student.

Not even the diploma mills the pass out human chiropractor credentials or the American Chiropractic Association recognize equine chiropractors.

Kinda like the equine podiatrists that are making the snake oil circuits these days.

If your horse has issues Id suggest an actual Vet.

walkinthewalk 07-03-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1578245)
Equine Chiropractors are very good at what they do.. separating horse owners from their money. People spend money and buy into it and project a placebo effect.

Do your research, look for actual studies, then look at the source of those studies. Last time we had this discussion someone posted "Proof" I read into it and it was written by a highschool student.

Not even the diploma mills the pass out human chiropractor credentials or the American Chiropractic Association recognize equine chiropractors.

Kinda like the equine podiatrists that are making the snake oil circuits these days.

Joe, I can't believe you're such a naysayer on this subject.

I generally agree with you BUT let me just say:

I have Level III Spondolothesis. You can Google it but:
Quote:

Grade III 51 percent to 75 percent slip
Grade IV 76 percent to 100 percent slip
Generally, Grade I and Grade II slips do not require surgical treatment and are treated medically. Grade III and Grade IV slips might require surgery if persistent, painful, slips are present.
After seeing my X-rays, the chiropractor first refused to work on me when I went crawling into his office and was going to refer me to a top neuro-surgeon in our region. I was just about a dog's hair away from the vertebra slipping and causing me permanent paralysis; he didn't even know how I drove my car (with a clutch), then walked into his office on crutches.

According to him all of that was not possible given those X-rays. There are some things life a person is better off not knowing, I guess:-P

You know things are bad when a chiro won't work on you -- well nevermind you don't because you think they're all snake oil.

I begged and he agreed. Within three months I went from walking with crutches to a cane, then walking into his office in flip flops.

That was two years ago and, by some miracle the lower part of my back (where there are NO discs), has fused itself. Yahoo, as far as I'm concerned his non-traditional methods (even in chiropractics) not only kept me from becoming an invalid but kept me out of surgery.

I fall under them once in awhile but I can still trim my horses, even though I did hand over the two special needs guys to an equine podiatrist. I still muck stalls, spend 2 - 4 hours at the barn every day with the horses, bush hog the pastures, mow and let's not forget the house work.

It takes me a lot longer than it used to but by d**n I'm walking upright and all thanks to that snake oil chiropractor who wanted nothing more than to take $35 a week from me.

So please with all due respect do not sit behind the keyboard and say all chiropractors are hog wash. I am living proof of the work some of them are capable of.

That being said, there is a human chiro in the next town over that I wouldn't take a lizard to; like any degreed profession, one has to know who's at the Top of their Game and who isn't:D

gypsygirl 07-03-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1578245)

can you please provide links to these studies ?

Skyseternalangel 07-03-2012 09:41 AM

Not that this is about horses (the way it happened is) but I got treated three times at a chiro after intense pain when I tried looking up or down from a bad horse accident. And within 3 visits it was better because I caught myself returning to normal tendencies like peering up at the sky or looking down while I ascend the escalator (I have a huge fear of escalators..)

It's still lingering a little bit but it made a huge difference.

And when I had someone work on Sky, it made a huge physical difference in his back and how he carried himself.

Sorry I don't have big fancy reports done by well known and credible scientists. Just a gal with experience that it's not a bunch of hoo-hah.

atthezookeeper 07-04-2012 04:54 AM

Wow, some folks just have to rain on someone else's parade. I went to the chiropractor after a car accident. I saw the xrays. I fell better and I'm in less pain and took less meds than after seeing the orthopedic MD. We've had several horses worked on, the vet referred them, all have had rematkable and lasting improvement. Our horses actually like, are happier, and more comfortable creatures with the services of our chiropractor. Collectively my family has 85+ years equine experience some of it college, we all unequivacally support, endorse and use chiropractic therapy for horses and humans. Oh, and the chiropractor we use had a human practice but prefers the animals and switched. Personally I feel so much better after an adjustment, I wish I could go everyday. Same with the massuese.