The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   I know its Taboo right now but does anyone on here show their walkers (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/i-know-its-taboo-right-now-129356/)

Diegosmom 07-02-2012 09:08 PM

I know its Taboo right now but does anyone on here show their walkers

Just wondering if there are any one here that does show their horse. Im not trying to start an argument. Was just wanting to talk show. I am thinking of starting Mister in shows next year after he is back to normal. Just want a hobby with my horse and i am not interested in anything but riding him around in an arena mostly with just an occasional outing so i thought this might be something i would enjoy . Ribbons or now ribbons

Silent one 07-02-2012 09:10 PM

I used to show mine several years ago. But I didn't show with the whole "big lick" crowd. Plantation pleasure only. Mostly small shows. It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it, but got too busy to continue.

Walk It Out 07-02-2012 09:18 PM

I've shown in the flatshod, and biglick divisions. I would show my trainers biglick horses, and my flatshod mare. It was fun! I miss showing, and might get back into it. It was a great bonding experience for my mare and me, and i -loved- showing her off ;P

Diegosmom 07-02-2012 09:54 PM

I was wanting to get into flat shod. He has a pretty awesome gait with a bit heavier shoe on the fronts then the backs.He was an ex big lick and has a pretty awesome back end.Really reaches, Currently he is in training and we are having to do some major farrier work due to some QH farriers jacking his feet( there is a couple of threads going about my horse issues) but he is on the right track and was wanting to have something to work towards.

Apparently ,as i have been told when the pads come off they are very pacy which he is and has been for quite a while.When i bought him he had light shod shoes on and looked pretty good but not we are working on growing things back to where they need to be

Was there anything in particular you guys did with your shoeing. Such as heavy fronts and light backs

arrowsaway 07-02-2012 10:19 PM

I don't think it's taboo to shoe responsibly and have fun with your horse. More power to you!
I hope he's doing better, the last time I caught a thread of yours things were looking pretty down.

Keep us posted :)

Also, do you ride English or Western? Just because he's ex Big Lick does not mean he couldn't be a good Western horse... Some Walkers look good in Western classes.

BUT... beware. Some judges in local shows don't know what to do with gaited horses if you're in open Western and English pleasure classes. You may not place because they don't know how to judge the movement and compare to the trotters. This has been my experience, although it is certainly different everywhere. Good luck!

Diegosmom 07-02-2012 10:46 PM

I would be riding English. And I would only be attending walking horse shows. There is 4 or 5 a year around here and I think that would be just enough for me. He is doing tons better now that I have him at a walking horse barn. He is still thin but we are in the right track. We have found quite a few things that weren't going well. He wasn't sleeping and the floating I had done in march was a waist. The dentist said it didn't even look like they had been floated. So those two things right there could be is weight loss issue. And the farrier at this twh barn well two farriers said his feet were all messed up. They had taken off all his toe in the front and left lots of toe in the backs and they were uneven as well. This could be is lameness issue. After they evened him out and took the toes off the backs and shod him right he looked a ton better. Both sides were moving evenly and there was no stompIng
Posted via Mobile Device

Darrin 07-03-2012 07:45 PM

Yeah, I took one look at his feet over in that other thread and new a QH shoer had been at him.

Around here we have lower tier gaited horse shows for amateurs. Darn good place to get your feet wet and build up confidence. I'm sure you have something similar over in TX. You really don't want to jump feet first, going up against horses/people with a lot more experience.

Joe4d 07-04-2012 01:43 AM

I will not now or ever have anything to do with anything that funnels any money into the TWHBEA's coffers. Dont care what kinda particular event it is.

Diegosmom 07-04-2012 08:56 AM

Well not that i want to get into this really.But i do believe the recent events might change the TWH industry. Yes i know its been said and done and people have been caught before but with todays media power nothing has ever been blown up like it was a month ago with Jackie Mcconall. People that have never heard of the breed know who he is and what he did so i am axiouse to see what happens with the showing of walking horses in the next few years.There are a few shos here that as of this year outlaw big licks from their show so thats a good step in the right direction.

Joe4d 07-04-2012 08:10 PM

Its not "HE" it is they, the entire TWHBEA, all the officers, all the directors. Every single one of them has been cited. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM ! They are all culpable.

There are a couple organizations that are having shows and ban unnatural shoeing and arn't hypocrites. Maybe seek out and support those shows.