The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Cribbing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/cribbing-129380/)

mangomelon 07-03-2012 01:33 AM

Cribbing

My friend's horse is really bad about cribbing and we want to get him to stop but we aren't sure what the best way is. How should we get him to quit doing this? What has worked for you in the past? Help would be greatly appreciated :)

waresbear 07-03-2012 01:44 AM

Unfortunately, there is no cure for cribbing. Once they start doing it, they are addicted to the endorphins that cribbing releases. You can try turning them out to pasture, but most likely the horse will still find something to crib on. Your friend should look into a cribbing collar, they stop cribbing when the device is on.

loosie 07-03-2012 02:49 AM

Yeah, sorry, as wares has said, it's a self-reinforcing, compulsive habit & once a horse is established at it, it's virtually impossible to get them to stop. There are a few devices & even surgery that can help you manage it if it's causing further health issues though.

The important thing to know about 'cribbing' is it is generally physical in cause. Not just about boredom or stress, but usually diet/feeding mismanagement that causes ulcers & such. So if your horse is still in an unhealthy management/feeding regime or he may still have ulcers, they're the important things to address. & who knows, if you catch it early enough, manage effectively, keep fingers x'd, it is possible that he'll stop.

Palomine 07-03-2012 05:52 AM

Cribbing collar. Other than that, you more than likely are not going to have any impact on the cribbing. And I've even seen horses that could crib with one on, depending on how much they could swan.

iridehorses 07-03-2012 06:19 AM

A cribbing horse will always be a cribber. There are some claims of "cures" but in all the years I've been around horses, I've never seen one that was permanent.

I've had horses that learned to crib with a collar on.

This is a mare that I bought several years ago. There is no collar on her but you can see how she learned how to crib with one. BTW, I undid the deal when I found out she cribbed.

Windsucking mare (cribbing) - YouTube

DancingArabian 07-03-2012 09:28 AM

A cribbing collar or cribbing muzzle are the most often used methods of stopping cribbing. I do know one horse that was a bad cribbed and stopped when he was on a hindgut supplement. Forgot the name of it - Equisure maybe?
Posted via Mobile Device

cowboy bowhunter 07-03-2012 10:02 AM

Cribbing collar or the best way sell him.

equiniphile 07-03-2012 11:29 AM

I have a cribber who has cribbed for 23 years. When he does it when I'm in the barn I yell at him because it annoys the hell out of me, so he no longer cribs when I'm around. I'm sure he still goes at it when I'm not there, but the dentist says he hasn't done much damage to his incisors, so I'm not too worried about it. I've tried tobasco sauce (which he licks like it's dessert) and a few different cribbing collars, none of which have worked. I have considered putting metal toppers on the stall partitions, but I'm not sure where I would find those. He only cribs in his stall, though he has 24/7 access to pasture. I rarely feed him treats anymore, as he cribs constantly after eating peppermints or carrots.

eclipseranch 07-03-2012 12:09 PM

so sorry but ditto to the above posts. It is an obsessive compulsive habit that you can't stop. cribbing generally starts from boredom or mimic so attempts of prevention yes, after its there not going to stop

Me and Smiling Horse 07-03-2012 01:48 PM

Hi. I'm new to this forum, and I've never had a horse who cribbed... BUT I have a friend who got a "neigh station" for her mare and put it up in the stall and it really seemed to help stop the cribbing. That neigh station has a shatter proof mirror, toys etc. I have an "amazing graze" that has treats in it and it keeps him busy while in the stall...

I guess all I have to offer are weapons of distraction, but those are ideas anyway.