The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Help and ADvice please (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/help-advice-please-129391/)

sheleena 07-03-2012 06:53 AM

Help and ADvice please

hi,
ive recently purchesed a horse, who since moving has developed some problems the main one being he has head shakers syndrome
to which i thought was not so sevre but his behaviour is disgracefull that im not sure weather its down to headshakers or pure naughtiness

hes as placid as anything in the stable, but as soon as you bring him out for light work : ie

short lunge with just the headcollar he will walk for about 3 mins ask to trot he turns faces me ears go back charges at me and rears....very frightening, i dont move just stand and ask him to do it again to which he does the same then gallops off on the lunge same on the other rein thats if we get past walk! before he keeps stoping!
ridden i really do not attemt i figure if i have no control on the lunge its going to be worse on his back all i want him to do is a little small excercise to keep him going until sept i just cant fathem out weather its naughtiness or pain!
hes not a vigerious up down toss head shaker he t shakes to the side and can nip if your un awares
im just lost
i have a standard bred just turned 5 who is progressing very well and cantering but just cant get him to collect up with out pacing so 2 totally diffrent types of horses:D

Skyseternalangel 07-03-2012 07:01 AM

I have a question for you. Why did you buy this horse if he's giving you so many problems? Were they post- purchase?

sheleena 07-03-2012 07:07 AM

no he was nothing like this when purchesd headshakers has come on since he moved to us due to the rapeseed and can also be confussed with being naughty but the challengin behaviour i class as naughty hence why ive posted

there is no cure for headshakers its just got to be figured out and managed to which we are STILL trying to do so no he showed no signs or anything when purchesed

uflrh9y 07-04-2012 08:08 AM

Wow it looks like you got a lot on your hands. I have never dealt with a headshaker before but I remember in college learning something about it sometimes being related to the amount of light and the season. It might be worth a shot looking up articles on that especially since it started when you moved so something environmental could have triggered it. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will have better advice. Good luck!